I've Got a Problem with Windows XP On My Notebook Here

• Thread starter eNtRopY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the scroll bar on a notebook computer's built-in mouse not working. The issue has been temporarily resolved by reloading the mouse driver, but it eventually stopped working again. Suggestions are made to try using an external mouse and to check the mouse software and hardware acceleration settings. The possibility of a buggy driver or corrupted Windows install is also mentioned.
eNtRopY
Computerphiles:

Okay, there is something a bit fvcked up happening with my notebook computer. The scroll-bar on the built-in mouse doesn't work. This happened a few days after I got the notebook; so, I reloaded the mouse driver, and it worked again. Eventually, however, it went back to not working.

I am running this machine on Windows XP on this machine.

Thanks.

eNtRopY

Computer science news on Phys.org
Creak open the old wallet whip out 30 bucks and spring for an external wheeled mouse.

Scroll bar on built in mouse...what kinda laptop is it? Touchpad design?

Is it a scroll button or a slider-type-thingie? Or is it one of those touchpads where you can designate a portion of the pad as a scrollslider?

Ext. mouse will help you out, but it's odd that it works for a while then quits. Did you install/remove anything between the new driver install and the point when it stopped working?

Originally posted by Considering
Scroll bar on built in mouse...what kinda laptop is it? Touchpad design?

Is it a scroll button or a slider-type-thingie? Or is it one of those touchpads where you can designate a portion of the pad as a scrollslider?

Ext. mouse will help you out, but it's odd that it works for a while then quits. Did you install/remove anything between the new driver install and the point when it stopped working?

Yes, it is one of those touch pad mouses with a touch pad scroll bar on the side. The only thing I installed since reinstalling the driver was MikTeX.

eNtRopY

Have you checked within the mouse software to make sure it is still configured correctly? I think I know the software you would be using, and normally you can set the amount/size of the scroll section of the touchpad, as well as the sensitivity. Sometimes fooling around with these options will help. Just go poking around, chaging one or two options at a time so you can always go back and undo em if needed.

If not that, the only thing I can think of is a buggy driver or a corrupted windows install. If it is a big pain to skip using the scroll, or to use an external mouse, track down the most up to date drivers (although I think you mentioned you did) or reinstall windows.

Good luck!

Try this, (I'm working with Win2000, so the procedure to get there may be different) right click on the desktop and select "Properties" from the menu. then press the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the screen. Select the "Troublshooting" tab. You should see the "Hardware Acceleration" slider; if you don't, go to your help screen and look up "Hardware Acceleration." Each notch has a particular thing that it does. One of the notches gives control of the mouse to windows and removes it from the graphics card. If this helps, then your graphics card or driver is probably the problem.

1. Can you help me troubleshoot my Windows XP issues on my notebook?

Sure! As a scientist, I have a lot of experience with technology and would be happy to assist you in finding a solution to your problem.

2. Why is my Windows XP running slow on my notebook?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of memory, too many background processes running, or outdated hardware. I would recommend checking your system's specifications and closing any unnecessary programs to see if that helps improve speed.

3. How can I fix the blue screen error on my Windows XP notebook?

The blue screen error, also known as the "blue screen of death," can be caused by a variety of issues, such as hardware or software conflicts, corrupted system files, or faulty drivers. It's best to start by checking for any recently installed software or hardware and uninstalling it if necessary. If the issue persists, you may need to perform a system restore or reinstall Windows XP.

4. Is it possible to upgrade my Windows XP on my notebook to a newer version?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade from Windows XP to a newer version such as Windows 7 or Windows 10. However, keep in mind that Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, so you may encounter compatibility issues and it's recommended to backup all your important files before upgrading.

5. How do I protect my Windows XP notebook from viruses and malware?

To protect your Windows XP notebook from viruses and malware, you can install and regularly update a reputable antivirus software. It's also important to practice safe browsing habits and avoid downloading or opening suspicious files or links. Keep your operating system and other software up to date with the latest security patches and updates.