D dimension scalar potential for point charge

In summary, the electric field strength in d dimensions is calculated by taking the sum of the squared components of the electric field, which can be written as a single squared term using the fact that the electric field is the same in all dimensions. However, this does not imply that each component of the electric field is equal to 1 over the square root of d times the magnitude of the electric field.
babyEigenshep

Homework Statement

Show that with [itex]d[/itex] spatial dimensions the potential [itex]\phi[/itex] due to a point charge [itex]q[/itex] is given by
[tex]\phi (r) = \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2}-1)}{4\pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric field strength is known to be:
[tex]E(r) = \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}[/tex]
[tex]E(r) = \sqrt{(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
[tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{d}\sum_{i=1}^d(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
[tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}})^2}[/tex]
Since the magnetic field will be the same in all directions, we know that
[tex]\vec {E}(r) = (\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}},\cdots)[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r) = -\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}dr[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{1}{(d-2)}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{1}{2(\frac{1}{2}d-1)}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]
[tex]\phi(r) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2}-1)}{4 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-2}}[/tex]

Why am I getting an extra [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}?[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
babyEigenshep said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The electric field strength is known to be:

[tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{d}\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}[/tex]

[tex]E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}[/tex]

Why am I getting an extra [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}?[/itex]

How did you go the first equation above to the second? And also, what is it that you are summing over? You have the summation sign, but no [itex]i[/itex] index on any of your terms

PS: to get scalable parenthesis, use the command \left( and \right) between your work :wink:

How did you go the first equation above to the second?

The first equation is
[tex]
E(r) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{d}\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
[/tex]

taking [itex]\frac{1}{d}[/itex] through the sum yields

[tex]
E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\frac{1}{d} \left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]
E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}}\right)^2 \left(\frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
[/tex]

so we can collect it into 1 squared term

[tex]
E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
[/tex]

what is it that you are summing over?

I am summing over the dimensions. By definition of [itex] E(r) [/itex] as the magnitude of the electric field,
[tex] E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2 [/tex]
where [itex] E_{x^i}[/itex] are the components of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex]
The sum is used with the fact that changing the order of the dimensions should not change the electric field to calculate the electric field from the magnitude.

Last edited:
babyEigenshep said:
so we can collect it into 1 squared term

[tex]
E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}
[/tex]
I am summing over the dimensions. By definition of [itex] E(r) [/itex] as the magnitude of the electric field,
[tex] E(r) = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2 [/tex]
where [itex] E_{x^i}[/itex] are the components of [itex] \vec{E} [/itex]
The sum is used with the fact that changing the order of the dimensions should not change the electric field to calculate the electric field from the magnitude.

It almost looks like you are using this to argue that [tex]E_{x^i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}[/itex]...but you can't really conclude this from the fact that [tex] \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}= \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2}[/itex] any more than you can conclude that 2=1, 2=2 and 2=3 from the fact that [itex]1+2+3=2+2+2[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
It almost looks like you are using this to argue that [tex]E_{x^i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}[/itex]...but you can't really conclude this from the fact that [tex] \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{d}} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{d}{2})}{2 \pi^{d/2}}\frac{q}{r^{d-1}}\right)^2}= \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^d \left. E_{x^i}\right. ^2}[/itex] any more than you can conclude that 2=1, 2=2 and 2=3 from the fact that [itex]1+2+3=2+2+2[/itex]

That was indeed what I was trying to argue. I feel quite silly now. Thankyou for your help

Related to D dimension scalar potential for point charge

1. What is a D dimension scalar potential for a point charge?

A D dimension scalar potential for a point charge refers to the mathematical representation of the potential energy associated with a point charge in a D-dimensional space. It is a function that describes how the potential energy changes with respect to the distance from the point charge in a D-dimensional space.

2. How is the D dimension scalar potential for a point charge calculated?

The D dimension scalar potential for a point charge is calculated using the formula V(r) = kq/r^(D-1), where V(r) is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb constant, q is the charge of the point charge, and r is the distance from the point charge. This formula is derived from the fundamental principles of electrostatics.

3. What is the significance of the D dimension in the scalar potential for a point charge?

The D dimension in the scalar potential for a point charge represents the dimensionality of the space in which the point charge exists. In a 3-dimensional space, the scalar potential follows the inverse-square law, whereas in a D-dimensional space, the potential follows an inverse-power law with a power of (D-1).

4. How does the D dimension scalar potential for a point charge affect the behavior of the electric field?

The D dimension scalar potential for a point charge determines the strength and direction of the electric field in a D-dimensional space. The electric field is calculated by taking the gradient of the scalar potential, and its magnitude and direction are determined by the magnitude and direction of the gradient.

5. Can the D dimension scalar potential for a point charge be extended to describe multiple point charges?

Yes, the D dimension scalar potential for a point charge can be extended to describe the potential energy associated with multiple point charges in a D-dimensional space. The total potential energy is calculated by summing the individual potential energies of each point charge. This formula can also be used to calculate the electric potential energy of a continuous charge distribution.