How do D-Brane arrangements affect particle masses and the standard model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of having a string with [11] Chan-Paton index on a Dp brane in a 10d space, which corresponds to a massless particle. The massless particle is identified as the photon, but it could potentially be a massless scalar or other boson. To obtain the full standard model, other Dp-branes must be arranged in the space, but information on this is scarce. It is also questioned whether the photon could actually be two connected photons moving along the brane. As a newcomer to D-branes, the speaker is looking for clarification and further understanding on the topic.
latentcorpse
Hi.

I've been reading that if one places a Dp brane in a 10d space then it's possible to have a string with [11] Chan-Paton index i.e. a string that starts and ends on the same Dp brane. Since the separation of the brane with itself is 0, this string corresponds to a massless particle. Why is this massless particle the photon? Surely it could be a massless scalar or some other massless boson? Why does it even have to be a boson?

Secondly, if the above does in fact give us the photon then that is the U(1) part of the standard model. How do we get the SU(3) and SU(2) parts? Presumably by arranging other Dp-branes inside the space but I can't find any information on how this works - a schematic answer would suffice for now haha!

Lastly, suppose we live on a particular Dp-brane, and this [11] sector string does give us a photon, since 2 ends of the string touch the brane, does this mean that it really gives us 2 photons? If so, are these photons connected in some way? And is it true to say that as the photon moves through our universe, this corresponds to the endpoint of the brane moving around on the Dp brane worldvolume?

I'm fairly new to D-branes so a lot of the above might be nonsense but I'd appreciate it if anyone could put me on the right track!

Thanks.

LC

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What are D-Branes?

D-Branes are extended objects in string theory that play a crucial role in understanding the structure of the universe at the most fundamental level. They can be thought of as membranes that exist in a higher-dimensional space and interact with strings in various ways.

How do D-Branes relate to the Standard Model?

D-Branes offer a geometric interpretation of the Standard Model, which is the most widely accepted theory of particle physics. They provide a framework for understanding the interactions between different particles and forces in the universe.

What is the significance of D-Branes in string theory?

D-Branes are significant in string theory because they allow for the possibility of extra dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we are familiar with. This offers a potential solution to the problem of unification in physics, as it allows for the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces.

How are D-Branes studied and observed?

D-Branes are primarily studied and observed through theoretical calculations and simulations, as they are too small and elusive to be directly detected by current technology. However, their effects on particle interactions and cosmological observations can provide evidence for their existence.

What are the current challenges and debates surrounding D-Branes and the Standard Model?

Some of the current challenges and debates surrounding D-Branes and the Standard Model include the incorporation of gravity into the framework of string theory, the existence of extra dimensions and how they may be observed, and the potential implications of D-Branes for other areas of physics such as dark matter and dark energy.