D Alembert's Principle: Dependence of kinetic energy on generalized coordinates.

So, ##\partial T/\partial q_i## is not affected by the choice of coordinates.In summary, the partial derivative of kinetic energy with respect to a coordinate qj is zero in cartesian coordinates, but not in polar coordinates where it is related to the centripetal acceleration term. This partial derivative is independent of the choice of coordinates and is affected by the velocity being a function of coordinates.
puneeth9b
Hey!
I was reading Goldestein's book on classical mechanics and I came across this (Page 20 3rd Edition):

"Note that in a system of Cartesian coordinates the partial derivative of T with
respect to qj vanishes. Thus, speaking in the language of differential geometry,
this term arises from the curvature of the coordinates qj. In polar coordinates,
e.g., it is in the partial derivative of T with respect to an angle coordinate that the
centripetal acceleration teml appears."

Here T=Kinetic energy of the system
qj= the jth generalized coordinate.

I don't exactly understand how this works.
1.Why isn't it (dT/dq) zero in polar coordinates if it is zero in cartesian coordinates?
2.What if velocity was a function of coordinates? dT/dq can't possibly be zero even in cartesian coordinates then right?

I might have missed some assumption that makes everything clear, so all those of you who've read the book, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the exact same question, no luck yet...

I'm not sure why you'd expect ##\partial T/\partial q_i## to be zero in polar coordinates. The kinetic energy in polar coordinates is given by
$$T=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{r}^2+ \frac{1}{2}mr^2\dot{\theta}^2.$$ Clearly, ##\partial T/\partial r = mr\dot{\theta}^2## is not zero in general. Goldstein should have said it was the partial derivative with respect to the radial coordinate that gives rise to the centripetal acceleration term.

Regarding your second question, remember that the coordinates ##q_i## and velocities ##\dot{q_i}## are considered independent variables.

Likes 1 person

Related to D Alembert's Principle: Dependence of kinetic energy on generalized coordinates.

What is D'Alembert's Principle?

D'Alembert's Principle is a fundamental law in classical mechanics that states that the sum of the forces acting on a body is equal to the mass of the body multiplied by its acceleration. This principle is based on the concept of equilibrium and is often used in the analysis of dynamics problems.

How does D'Alembert's Principle relate to kinetic energy?

According to D'Alembert's Principle, the sum of the forces acting on a body is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In other words, the net force acting on a body determines its acceleration, which in turn affects its kinetic energy. Therefore, D'Alembert's Principle can be used to analyze the dependence of kinetic energy on generalized coordinates.

What are generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are a set of independent variables that are used to describe the motion of a system. These coordinates can be chosen in a way that simplifies the analysis of the system's motion. In the context of D'Alembert's Principle, generalized coordinates are used to describe the relationship between forces and motion, and their use can help to simplify the equations of motion.

How can D'Alembert's Principle be applied in real-world situations?

D'Alembert's Principle can be applied to a wide range of real-world situations, from simple mechanical systems to more complex systems involving multiple bodies and forces. It is often used in engineering and physics to analyze the dynamics of systems and predict their behavior.

Are there any limitations to D'Alembert's Principle?

Like any physical principle, D'Alembert's Principle has its limitations. It is based on the assumption of idealized conditions, such as the absence of friction and other external forces. Therefore, it may not accurately describe the behavior of real-world systems. Additionally, D'Alembert's Principle is only applicable to systems in equilibrium or in steady-state motion.