Cylindrical Tank Height Calculation (1587kg, 3.2m)

In summary, The conversation discusses a question about calculating the height of a cylindrical tank filled with water. The tank has a mass of 1587.0 kg and a diameter of 3.2 meters. The solution involves using the formula V = pi*r^2*h and solving for h, then using the definition of density to calculate the height. The final answer is approximately 0.20 meters and is reasonable for a tank of that size. The conversation also includes a correction about the units used in the calculation.
shelli8
I have been stumped on this question for two days~!~
I am not even sure this is where to post this, but any answers or ideas or anything are greatly appreciated! the question is
'CALCULATE THE HEIGHT OF A CYLINDRICAL TANK FILLED WITH WATER HAVING A MASS OF 1587.0 KG. THE DIAMETER OF THE TANK IS 3.2 METERS, PLEASE HAVE THE ANSWER IN METERS'. I can't seem to convert the kilograms into meters, or I can't even find the height equation for this?~~! Any ideas?? thanks so much! shelli

Physics news on Phys.org
V=pi*r^2*h
volume = mass/density
1L = .001 m^3 (thanks for pointing that out turin :smile:)

Just assume the tank is just made of water with no container.. makes it easier

(edited)

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think you might want to be a little careful with your units (ρwater ~ 1 kg/L); I got a very different answer for h. Oh, and double check your formula for volume (the factor of 2?). Otherwise, I agree with your procedure.

I have Vcyl = πr2h (Abase x height).

Solving algebraically for h and then using the definition of density and stuff, I got h = 0.20 m. This seems reasonable since a 3.2 m wide cylindrical tank is the area of several bath tubs, and 0.20 m of water in them would be pretty heavy.

Last edited:
Originally posted by turin
I'm not sure, but I think you might want to be a little careful with your units (ρwater ~ 1 kg/L); I got a very different answer for h. Oh, and double check your formula for volume (the factor of 2?). Otherwise, I agree with your procedure.
ah, you're right, I was thinking of the circumference and accidentally threw in the 2

Right on, that helps immensely, and even makes sense. Thanks for lending out your brains.

Related to Cylindrical Tank Height Calculation (1587kg, 3.2m)

1. How do I calculate the height of a cylindrical tank with a weight of 1587kg and a radius of 3.2m?

To calculate the height of a cylindrical tank, you will need to use the formula: height = weight / (pi * radius^2). In this case, it would be height = 1587kg / (3.14 * 3.2m^2) = 50.1m.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank?

The formula for calculating the volume of a cylindrical tank is: volume = pi * radius^2 * height. This formula takes into account the circular base and the height of the tank.

3. How do I convert the weight of the tank from kilograms to pounds?

To convert kilograms to pounds, you can use the conversion factor 1kg = 2.20462lbs. Therefore, the weight of the tank in pounds would be 1587kg * 2.20462 = 3500.2lbs.

4. Can I use this formula for any cylindrical tank, regardless of its dimensions?

Yes, as long as you have the weight and radius of the tank, you can use this formula to calculate the height. However, keep in mind that this formula assumes that the tank has a perfectly circular base and a uniform weight distribution.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula for cylindrical tanks?

As mentioned before, this formula assumes a perfectly circular base and a uniform weight distribution. If these conditions are not met, the calculated height may not be accurate. Additionally, this formula is only applicable for cylindrical tanks and cannot be used for other shapes.