Cylinder rolling without slipping on a truck

In summary: Yeah, I think it's easy to make errors like that because it's not obvious how the senses of the rotational & linear motion are connected. Probably best just to step back and think about it, as in "if the cylinder is accelerating to the right (##\ddot{x} > 0##) then the clockwise acceleration has to also be positive".While most parts of the question can be answered with the details given (and they assume the pipe doesn't bounce or anything), part b asks for angular velocity of the pipe, which cannot be known without its radius, not specified.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
A section of steel pipe of large diameter and relatively thin wall is mounted as shown on a flat-bed truck. The driver of the truck, not realizing that the pipe has not been lashed in place, starts up the truck with a constant acceleration of 0.5 g. As a result, the pipe rolls backward (relative to the truck bed) without slipping, and falls to the ground. The length of the truck bed is 5 m.
(a) With what horizontal velocity does the pipe strike the ground?
(b) What is its angular velocity at this instant?
(c) How far does it skid before beginning to roll without slipping, if the coefficient of friction between the pipe and ground is 0.3?
(d) What is its linear velocity when its motion changes to rolling without slipping?
Relevant Equations
t = rf
t = Ia
I don't know how to start it
1590171664635.png

Is the truck who make the cylinder roll, initially? If yes, how? Since the truck force would pass by the center of the cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Is the truck who make the cylinder roll, initially? If yes, how? Since the truck force would pass by the center of the cylinder.

It'll be because the truck 'leaves behind' the cylinder, in a vague sense. It might be easiest to do the first part of the question in the accelerating reference frame of the truck, so that the cylinder feels an inertial body force of magnitude ##0.5mg## to the right (and friction!). We are told it rolls without slipping on the truck, so that should let you also eliminate ##\ddot{\theta}## whilst on the truck. In addition to the velocity w.r.t. the lab when it finally leaves the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
It'll be because the truck 'leaves behind' the cylinder, in a vague sense. It might be easiest to do the first part of the question in the accelerating reference frame of the truck, so that the cylinder feels an inertial body force of magnitude ##0.5mg## to the right. We are told it rolls without slipping on the truck, so that should let you calculate ##\ddot{\theta}## whilst on the truck. In addition to the velocity w.r.t. the lab when it finally leaves the truck.

I thought in attack the problem by this way, but I arrived at so many contradictions that i gave up.
First i didn't know if this force inertial would produce any torque in the body, when i takes for granted, i didn't know in which point would the force acting on the body.
So i gave up this ideia and try attack just with friction force the responsible for the torque, so i imediate see a problem:
f is friction
-mA is the inertial force

Rotation:
|f*r| = |I*x''/r|
I = mr²
|f| = |mx''|

and:
f + m(-a) = mx''
No matter how direction i choose to the friction force, both will be absurd and so it need to be disconsidered.

So, I have no idea: S

The situation in the truck is not dissimilar to something rolling down a hill. You have an inertial body force of magnitude ##0.5mg## acting to the right through the centre of mass (producing no torque about the CM), and a frictional force of magnitude ##f## acting to the left, which does product a torque about the centre of mass.

The frictional force in this case is necessary, otherwise ##a_x = r\ddot{\theta}## (the rolling condition) could not be satisfied.

Likes LCSphysicist
1590180749920.png

Where is the error? :C

Attachments

• 1590180735550.png
    1590180735550.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 149
I would say your working is pretty much correct, save a sign error; if ##A## is the magnitude of the acceleration of the truck and ##\ddot{x}## is the acceleration of the pipe w.r.t. the truck,
$$mA - f = m\ddot{x}$$ $$fr = mr^2 \alpha = \frac{mr^2 \ddot{x}}{r} \implies f = m\ddot{x}$$ So now substituting back into the first relation gives $$mA = 2m\ddot{x} \implies \ddot{x} = \frac{A}{2}$$

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
etotheipi said:
I would say your working is pretty much correct, save a sign error; if ##A## is the magnitude of the acceleration of the truck and ##\ddot{x}## is the acceleration of the pipe w.r.t. the truck,
$$mA - f = m\ddot{x}$$ $$fr = mr^2 \alpha = \frac{mr^2 \ddot{x}}{r} \implies f = m\ddot{x}$$ So now substituting back into the first relation gives $$mA = 2m\ddot{x} \implies \ddot{x} = \frac{A}{2}$$
Wow,damn signs! XD
thxx

Attachments

• 1590181911493.png
    1590181911493.png
    48 KB · Views: 125
Likes etotheipi
LCSphysicist said:
Wow,damn signs! XD
thxx

Yeah, I think it's easy to make errors like that because it's not obvious how the senses of the rotational & linear motion are connected. Probably best just to step back and think about it, as in "if the cylinder is accelerating to the right (##\ddot{x} > 0##) then the clockwise acceleration has to also be positive".

While most parts of the question can be answered with the details given (and they assume the pipe doesn't bounce or anything), part b asks for angular velocity of the pipe, which cannot be known without its radius, not specified.

Likes etotheipi

Related to Cylinder rolling without slipping on a truck

1. How does a cylinder roll without slipping on a truck?

A cylinder can roll without slipping on a truck due to the principle of rolling motion, which states that the velocity of the point of contact between the cylinder and the truck must be zero. This is achieved through friction between the cylinder and the truck's surface.

2. What factors affect the rolling motion of a cylinder on a truck?

The factors that affect the rolling motion of a cylinder on a truck include the mass and shape of the cylinder, the surface of the truck, and the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. Additionally, the speed and direction of the truck can also impact the rolling motion of the cylinder.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect cylinder rolling on a truck?

The coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the truck's surface determines the amount of friction force acting on the cylinder. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a greater friction force, which can help the cylinder roll without slipping on the truck.

4. Can a cylinder roll without slipping on any type of truck surface?

No, a cylinder cannot roll without slipping on any type of truck surface. The surface of the truck must have enough friction to create a force that can oppose the rolling motion of the cylinder. Smooth or slippery surfaces will not provide enough friction for the cylinder to roll without slipping.

5. How is the velocity of a cylinder calculated when it is rolling without slipping on a truck?

The velocity of a cylinder rolling without slipping on a truck can be calculated using the equation v = rω, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the cylinder, and ω is the angular velocity. This equation is based on the principle of rolling motion, which states that the velocity of the point of contact between the cylinder and the truck must be zero.