Cylinder Rolling Down an Inclined Plane

In summary, a 3.0kg solid cylinder with a radius of 0.15m and length of 0.7m is released from rest at the top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is 0.9m high and 5m long. The rotational and translational kinetic energy of the cylinder are determined by using the equations krot=1/2Iw^2 and Ktrans=1/2mv^2. After solving for the final kinetic energy of 26J, the value of the moment of inertia (I) is needed to find the rotational kinetic energy. The moment of inertia of the cylinder with respect to the axis through its centre is 1/2 MR
eagles12

Homework Statement

A 3.0kg solid cylinder (radius=.15m, length=.7m) is released from rest at a top of a ramp and allowed to roll without slipping. The ramp is .9m high and 5m long. Find the rotational and translational kinetic energy.

Homework Equations

krot=1/2Iw^2
Ktrans=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I already determined that the final kinetic energy is 26J

v=rw
v=(.15)w
Ktrans=1/2(3)(v^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
i set up
mgH=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
and got
26=1/2(3)v^2+1/2(.1225)w^2
26=.03375w^2+.06125W^2
26=.095w^2
w=16.54
with this i got
Krot=16.76
but it is saying this is not correct

eagles12 said:
i set up
mgH=1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
and got
26=1/2(3)v^2+1/2(.1225)w^2
26=.03375w^2+.06125W^2
26=.095w^2
w=16.54
with this i got
Krot=16.76
but it is saying this is not correct

Wrong moment of Inertia!

would it be 1/2 MR^2

eagles12 said:
would it be 1/2 MR^2

If i tell that, then i would solve your homework.
Think about it, how the cylinder will roll down (about which axis)?

i got the rotational one and plugged in the w and r into v=rw
then squared v and multiplied by the mass
and divided by two, but i didn't get the right answer

eagles12 said:
would it be 1/2 MR^2

The moment of inertia of the cylinder with respect to the axis through its centre is 1/2 MR^2. It is not 0.1225. How did you get that value?

(The in a plane motion of a rigid body is equivalent with a translation of its CM and rotation around the axis through the CM.)

ehild

And can you tell us what value of g you used?
I don't get 26 neither by 10 nor 9.8.

i used 9.8 and it has already told me that Kf=26 and Krot=8.8 are correct.
using this, i used v=rw to get v=3.399 and plugged that into 1/2mv^2
doing that i got 17 but it is saying this is incorrect.

eagles12 said:
i used 9.8 and it has already told me that Kf=26 and Krot=8.8 are correct.
using this, i used v=rw to get v=3.399 and plugged that into 1/2mv^2
doing that i got 17 but it is saying this is incorrect.
Seriously...why 17J is not correct answer? If total energy is 26.486J and rotational energy is 8.8J then the kinetic energy will be 26.486J-8.8J=17.687J~18J. I was always taught to use the value 9.81m/s^2 and not to use rounded values like 26J in calculations. :wink:

Related to Cylinder Rolling Down an Inclined Plane

1. How does the mass of the cylinder affect its speed while rolling down an inclined plane?

The mass of the cylinder does not directly affect its speed while rolling down an inclined plane. The speed of the cylinder is determined by the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction, and the radius of the cylinder.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the speed of the cylinder?

The angle of the incline has a direct relationship with the speed of the cylinder. As the angle of the incline increases, the speed of the cylinder also increases. This is because a steeper incline allows for a greater gravitational force to act on the cylinder, resulting in a higher speed.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the motion of the cylinder on an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction plays a major role in the motion of a cylinder on an inclined plane. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a slower speed for the cylinder as it will experience more resistance from the surface of the incline. A lower coefficient of friction will result in a faster speed as there is less resistance.

4. Is there a maximum speed that a cylinder can reach while rolling down an inclined plane?

There is no maximum speed for a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane, as it will continue to accelerate as long as there is a force acting on it. However, the speed may be limited by factors such as the length of the incline and the friction between the cylinder and the surface.

5. How does the radius of the cylinder affect its motion on an inclined plane?

The radius of the cylinder has a direct effect on its motion on an inclined plane. A larger radius will result in a higher speed, as there is a greater distance for the cylinder to travel in each rotation. A smaller radius will result in a slower speed as there is a shorter distance for the cylinder to travel.