Experimenting with a Frog: A Fun Challenge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of scaling up an experiment involving a levitating frog to a human level. It is mentioned that the frog did not experience any harm and that NASA supposedly does this on a human level. However, it is noted that the amount of power needed for such an experiment is not feasible for a human. Additionally, there is a joke about the frog becoming a pin cushion if it comes near a box of metallic pins and needles.
username
I wonder if you could scale this experiment up with a human it could be fun, mind you I am not convinced that the pioneering little frog was alive for very long, if you watch the movie it also seems that only one side of its body works but maybe its just confused or enjoying itself :/

see:
http://www-hfml.sci.kun.nl/froglev.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would have to be some powerful field! Also the frog didn't die. I saw a special on tv where they showed them put the frog in an later he was hopping on the table. Magnetic fields really aren't too dangerous to humans unless the field strenght was unimaginably high. There have been experiments where a magnetic pulses are used to induce current in parts of the brain but that wasn't a continuous field like the levitating one is. If you could scale it up you could float a person.

Originally posted by username
I wonder if you could scale this experiment up with a human it could be fun, mind you I am not convinced that the pioneering little frog was alive for very long, if you watch the movie it also seems that only one side of its body works but maybe its just confused or enjoying itself :/

see:
http://www-hfml.sci.kun.nl/froglev.html

The frog doesn't experience any problems. And it lives as long as any other frog. NASA does this on a human level all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by Izzle
The frog doesn't experience any problems. And it lives as long as any other frog. NASA does this on a human level all the time.

Wow you sure! How does it work is it just a scaled up version ?
I want a go ...

NASA does this on a human level all the time.
Where did you hear that ?!

No, NASA do not do it on a human level (heard this claim before), levitating the frogs required 'nuff power.

Yeah, scaling up a 10+ Tesla electromagnet to the size
of a human is a bit too much...

The frog doesn't experience any problems. And it lives as long as any other frog.

As long as it doesn't come near a box of metalic pins & needles, where upon it instantly becomes a pin cushion!

1. What is the purpose of experimenting with a frog?

The purpose of experimenting with a frog is to learn about its anatomy, behavior, and other characteristics. It can also help us understand the impact of certain substances or environmental factors on living organisms.

2. What are some common experiments that involve frogs?

Some common experiments involving frogs include studying their response to stimuli, measuring their heart rate and respiration, and observing their muscle contractions.

3. Is experimenting with frogs ethical?

As scientists, it is our responsibility to ensure that any experiments involving animals, including frogs, are conducted in an ethical manner. This includes obtaining proper permits, minimizing pain and distress for the frogs, and using alternative methods when possible.

4. How can I conduct an experiment with a frog safely?

To conduct an experiment with a frog safely, it is important to handle the frog gently and properly, avoid using harmful substances, and follow all safety protocols. It is also recommended to have a trained professional supervise the experiment.

5. What are some potential benefits of experimenting with frogs?

Experimenting with frogs can lead to a better understanding of their role in the ecosystem, contribute to medical research and advancements, and provide valuable insights into the effects of pollution and climate change on wildlife.