Cylinder Floating: Frequency of Oscillation Explained

In summary, the three block of mass are connected to the springs with k1 k2 k3. The two modes of the system are |1>=( 1 0 -3) |2>= (27 -10 9). The displacement of the system is expressed in terms of |1> and |2>. The frequency of oscillation is 20 rad/s. The spring constants are found by taking the equation of motion and solving for |3>.
Unicorn.
Hi everyone,
I have an exercise and i don't understand something in the solution:
A cylinder of diameter d floats with l of its length submerged. The total height is L. Assume no
damping. At time t = 0 the cylinder is pushed down a distance B and released.
What is the frequency of oscillation?

The diameter of the floating cylinder is d and it has l of its length submerged in water. The volume of water
displaced by the submerged part of the cylinder in equilibrium condition is πd2l/4. Let the density of water be ρ
and the density of cylinder be ρcyl. Hence the mass of the cylinder is:
Mcyl = ρw*Vdisplaced= ρw*πd2l/4=ρcyl*πd2L/4
Frestoringw*gπd2x/4
Mcylx"=ρw*gπd2x/4
w²=ρw*gπd2/4Mcyl
w²=g/l

Why are they taking Vdisplaced=πd2l/4 Why /4 ?
And why l is equa to 4Mcylw*πd2

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Unicorn. said:
Why are they taking Vdisplaced=πd2l/4 Why /4 ?
What's the formula for the area of a circle expressed in terms of its diameter (not radius)?
And why l is equa to 4Mcylw*πd2
This relationship comes from the first equation you wrote.

Oh okey i didn't notice that it was written in terms of the diameter !
Thanks !

I have another question about oscillations, it was an assignment that we did two weeks ago. I didn't understand the exercise so I didn't do it and my teacher doesn't give the details of the solutions. I'm expecting someone to help me and explain me the steps:

Three block of mass m=0.13kg are connected with three springs of constant k1 k2 k3 and

Two of the normal modes of the system, expressed in terms of displacement are :
|1>=( 1 0 -3) |2>= ( 27 -10 9)

Knowing that the lower frequency that isn't necessarly the first mode frequency is 20 rad/s. Find the spring constants.

All i did is that i gave the equations of motion so i got few points for that, and found the |3> as they're perpendicular between them.

Thank you, I have an exam tomorrow and need to understand this !

Unicorn. said:
I have another question about oscillations, it was an assignment that we did two weeks ago. I didn't understand the exercise so I didn't do it and my teacher doesn't give the details of the solutions. I'm expecting someone to help me and explain me the steps:

Three block of mass m=0.13kg are connected with three springs of constant k1 k2 k3 and

Two of the normal modes of the system, expressed in terms of displacement are :
|1>=( 1 0 -3) |2>= ( 27 -10 9)

Knowing that the lower frequency that isn't necessarly the first mode frequency is 20 rad/s. Find the spring constants.

I think you should post this as a separate question with an appropriate title.

The volume of water displaced by the submerged part of the cylinder is equal to the volume of the cylinder that is submerged in water. This volume can be calculated using the formula for the volume of a cylinder, which is πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. In this case, the radius is equal to half of the diameter (d/2), and the height is equal to the length submerged (l). Therefore, the volume of water displaced is equal to π(d/2)^2l, which simplifies to πd^2l/4.

The reason why l is equal to 4Mcyl/ρw*πd2 is because this equation is derived from the equation for the mass of the cylinder (Mcyl = ρcyl*πd2L/4) and the equation for the volume of water displaced (Vdisplaced=πd2l/4). By substituting these values into the equation w²=ρw*gπd2/4Mcyl, we can solve for l, which results in l=4Mcyl/ρw*πd2.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Cylinder Floating: Frequency of Oscillation Explained

What is cylinder floating and why is it important to study?

Cylinder floating is a phenomenon in which a cylindrical object partially submerged in a fluid will oscillate or "bob" up and down in a regular pattern. This is important to study because it can help us understand fluid dynamics and the behavior of objects in fluids, which has many practical applications in areas such as engineering and oceanography.

How does the frequency of oscillation of a floating cylinder depend on its properties?

The frequency of oscillation of a floating cylinder depends on several factors, including its size, shape, and density. Generally, a larger or denser cylinder will have a lower frequency of oscillation, while a smaller or less dense cylinder will have a higher frequency of oscillation. The shape of the cylinder can also affect its frequency of oscillation, with more streamlined shapes having a higher frequency than more blunt shapes.

What is the relationship between the frequency of oscillation and the fluid properties?

The frequency of oscillation of a floating cylinder is also influenced by the properties of the fluid it is floating in. The density and viscosity of the fluid can affect the buoyancy force acting on the cylinder, which in turn affects its frequency of oscillation. A more dense or viscous fluid will result in a lower frequency of oscillation, while a less dense or less viscous fluid will result in a higher frequency.

How can the frequency of oscillation of a floating cylinder be measured?

There are several methods for measuring the frequency of oscillation of a floating cylinder. One method is to use a high-speed camera to record the motion of the cylinder and then analyze the video to determine the frequency. Another method is to attach a sensor, such as an accelerometer, to the cylinder to measure its vibrations and calculate the frequency. Additionally, theoretical calculations can also be used to estimate the frequency of oscillation based on the properties of the cylinder and the fluid.

What are the practical applications of studying the frequency of oscillation of floating cylinders?

Understanding the frequency of oscillation of floating cylinders has many practical applications. For example, it can help engineers design more stable and efficient structures for offshore oil platforms or bridges that are subject to fluid forces. It can also aid in the design of ships and submarines, as well as in predicting the behavior of marine animals in water. Additionally, studying cylinder floating can also provide insights into the behavior of other objects in fluids, such as airfoils and propellers.