Questions re Compton scattering

In summary, the angle of scatter has a huge impact on whether or not radiation from that angle will have any energy loss. If the angle of scatter is close to zero, radiation will not have any energy loss and will be considered "straightforward." If the angle of scatter is greater than zero, radiation will have some energy loss and will be considered "scattered."
outandbeyond2004
I am not sure this is the right topic for these questions. They are for the people who are familiar with Compton scattering. Let

[tex]\Theta[/tex]

be the angle that the trajectory of the scattered photon makes with the trajectory of the incident photon.

Suppose
[tex]\Theta[/tex]
is zero. Does that mean that the incident photon misses the electron (or some target charged particle) altogether or it hits the electron but does not interact with the electron at all? I can imagine the incident photon usually misses the electron, but surely there should be some hits now and then. Therefore, Compton forward transmission (CFT - not really scattering) as I shall term it should happen. The formula predicts in this case that there shall be no redshift. I find this hard to believe. It's though the cue ball goes right through the 8 ball into the pool pocket without changing the position of the 8 ball at all.

Has anyone done any detailed QFT analysis of CFT? If so, what were the results? As for experiments, I suppose it would be very hard to measure any redshift in CFT.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of scatter for Compton scattering can assume any value between 0 and 180o. The probability of it being exactly 0 (or any other angle specified in advance)is 0. In other words, the probability density has no Dirac delta function component.

Yes, a theoretical reason CFT is all but impossible to check cleanly. Let me see if I understand: As the angular spread around zero theta is made smaller, the redshift results become less reliable for verification purposes. I suppose one of you can put that in more technical language.

What I think I can say: Redshift does happen, though we cannot ever know for sure whether that is from CFT or from theta very close to zero.

I am not sure what your question means, but essentially, if there is no energy change we can't tell if is was scattered straight forward or missed - there really is no difference. If there is any energy loss, there was scatter.

If there is any energy loss, there was scatter.

My understanding is that we cannot measure radiation coming from theta = zero only. Rather we have to measure radiation integrated over a range of angles, zero <= |theta| < constant. Actually, a cone centered on the initial direction of the incident photon. The constant may be small but cannot be zero. Hence, we cannot know which photon in that range is a "straightforward" photon, and cannot thus verify the prediction of zero energy loss for theta = zero.

Not only would an experimentalist say that, but a quantum mechanics theorist would.

Am I correct?

Last edited:
The wavelength (or energy) can be measured quite accurately. Threfore if there was a change, there had to be a scatter.

So, if you measured close to theta = zero and found a change in wavelength = scatter, you would conclude that the Compton formula value for theta = zero is wrong?

What is Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with an electron, resulting in a decrease in the energy and change in direction of the photon.

What causes Compton scattering?

Compton scattering is caused by the interaction between a photon and an electron. This interaction is typically observed in high-energy particles, such as X-rays and gamma rays, and is a result of the photon's energy being transferred to the electron.

How is Compton scattering used in scientific research?

Compton scattering is used in a variety of scientific fields, including nuclear physics, astrophysics, and medical imaging. It can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of materials, as well as the composition of distant objects in space.

What is the difference between classical and quantum description of Compton scattering?

In classical physics, Compton scattering is described as a simple collision between a photon and an electron. However, in quantum mechanics, it is described as an interaction between a photon and an electron wave function, taking into account the wave-particle duality of both particles.

Can Compton scattering be observed in everyday life?

Compton scattering can be observed in everyday life, although it is typically only noticeable in high-energy particles. For example, the blue color of the sky is a result of Compton scattering of sunlight by the Earth's atmosphere.