Cycloid Lagrangian Homework - 2 Degrees of Freedom & Equations

• Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary: The lagrangian is L=T-V.Am I correct in thinking ##T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot x^2+\dot y^2)##?Yes, that is correct.3) What to do?Thanks in advance
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

A point like particle of mass m moves under gravity along a cycloid given in parametric form by
$$x=R(\phi+\sin\phi),$$
$$y=R(1-cos\phi),$$
where R is the radius of the circle generating the cycloid and ##\phi## is the parameter (angle). The particle is released at the point (##x=\pi R, y=2R##) from rest.

1) What types of constraint apply to this system and how many degrees of freedom are needed to describe the motion?

2) Show that the lagrangian of the system is
$$L=2mR^2\dot{\phi}\cos^2\frac{\phi}{2}-2mgR\sin^2\frac{\phi}{2}$$

3) Introduce a new generalised coordinate ##s=4Rsin\frac{\phi}{2}## and express the Lagrangian in terms of s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I am not sure what the constraints are. It's just that the particle is forced to move in a cycloid. Could someone help me here?
The degrees of freedom is 2 since x and y are dependent on R and ##\phi##. So R and ##\phi## are the variables required.

2) The lagrangian is L=T-V.
Am I correct in thinking ##T=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot x^2+\dot y^2)##? I have tried taking the time derivative of the right hand side of the given equations of x and y. I got $$\dot x=R(\dot \phi+\dot \phi \cos\phi),$$
$$\dot y=R(\dot \phi \sin\phi).$$
Substituting into T, $$T=R^2m\dot \phi ^2 (1+cos\phi).$$
Similarly, $$V=mgy=mgR(1-\cos\phi)$$
Then $$L=R^2m\dot \phi ^2 (1+cos\phi)-mgR(1-\cos\phi)$$
I'm looking through the double angle formulas and can't really determine how to get to the given lagrangian.

3) What to do?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Is R a degree of freedom? If it is, where are the derivatives of R in 2?

2) Just apply the double angle formula and the trigonometric one.

3) It is a variable substitution. What is your problem with it?

1) Is R a degree of freedom? If it is, where are the derivatives of R in 2?
Sorry, I realized I initially had R as a degree of freedom but after taking the derivative, it became too complex I figured R is not a degree of freedom. This makes sense because it's just the radius of a circle. So one degree of freedom, ##\psi##

2) Just apply the double angle formula and the trigonometric one.
Okay

3) It is a variable substitution. What is your problem with it?
I don't know where to substitute? Should I solve for R, so ##R=\frac{s}{4\sin\frac{\phi}{2}}## and plug it in the x and y equation?

spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

1) What types of constraint apply to this system

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I am not sure what the constraints are. It's just that the particle is forced to move in a cycloid. Could someone help me here?
I'm not sure exactly what the question is asking here. But standard texts often categorize constraints using scary words. For example, have you run into the terms "holonomic", "nonholonomic", "scleronomous", and "rheonomous"?

(I studied Lagrangian mechanics in 1970 and this is the first chance that I've ever had to use any of those words. Thanks for the opportunity. :oldsmile: )

Related to Cycloid Lagrangian Homework - 2 Degrees of Freedom & Equations

1. What is a "Cycloid Lagrangian"?

A Cycloid Lagrangian is a mathematical model used in physics to describe the motion of a particle in a two-dimensional system with two degrees of freedom. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energy of the particle and can be used to solve complex problems in classical mechanics.

2. What is meant by "2 Degrees of Freedom" in the context of Cycloid Lagrangian?

In physics, degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent parameters that can affect the motion of a system. In the context of Cycloid Lagrangian, it means that the particle can move in two independent directions, giving it two degrees of freedom.

3. How is the Cycloid Lagrangian derived?

The Cycloid Lagrangian is derived using the Lagrangian formalism, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of particles in classical mechanics. It involves writing the kinetic and potential energy of the particle in terms of its position and velocity, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to derive the equations of motion.

4. What are the advantages of using the Cycloid Lagrangian over other methods?

The Cycloid Lagrangian has several advantages over other methods, such as Newton's laws or the Hamiltonian formalism. It allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve problems with complex geometries. It also takes into account the conservation of energy and momentum, making it more accurate for describing real-world systems.

5. How is the Cycloid Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The Cycloid Lagrangian is used in various fields of physics, including mechanics, optics, and electromagnetism. It is also commonly used in engineering to design and analyze mechanical systems, as well as in astronomy to model the motion of celestial bodies. In addition, it has applications in quantum mechanics and relativity, where it is used to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic and cosmic scales, respectively.