Cyclic permutation and operators

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the book "The Structure and Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics" by R.I.G. Hughes. The question involves showing that Sx and Sy do not commute, and evaluating the difference SxSy - SySx in terms of Sz. The conversation also mentions the cyclic permutation of operators and their relation to the Pauli spin matrices. The speaker expresses confusion about how to show this cyclic relation and asks for help finding answers to the problems in the book.
MRAH
Hi there

I am working through the problems in R.I.G. Hughes book the structure and interpretation of quantum mechanics and have hit a wall in the last part of the following question:

Show that Sx and Sy do not commute, and evaluate SxSy-SySx. Express this difference in terms of Sz, and show that this relation holds cyclically among the three operators.

I guess it has something to do with cyclic permutation. Any way thanks for your time and if you know where I can find the answers to the problems in this book that would help me later I suppose.

S[itex]_{}[/itex]x= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]0 1
10[itex]\right)[/itex] S[itex]_{}[/itex]y= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]0 -i
i 0[itex]\right)[/itex] S[itex]_{}[/itex]z= 1/2 [itex]\left([/itex]1 0
0 -1[itex]\right)[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are just referring to the short hand notation: [Si,Sj] = SiSj - SjSi = 2i Sk where [itex](i,j,k)[/itex] can be [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] or [itex](y,z,x)[/itex] or [itex](z,x,y)[/itex], hence the phrase "this relation holds cyclically among the three operators".

S represent the pauli spin matrices.

Last edited:
My confusion is with the section in bold type and how exactly to show the relation holding cyclically among the operators. What I was trying to depict below was the Pauli spin matrices.

By "show that this relation holds cyclically among the three operators" they mean what I have written in my earlier post. I edited the commutation relation (in boldface) to comply with Pauli spin matrices. Made a few other changes to explain it better. Is that helpful?

Yes thanks a lot, I appreciate your help.

Related to Cyclic permutation and operators

1. What is a cyclic permutation?

A cyclic permutation is a type of permutation where the elements of a set are rearranged in a circular fashion. This means that the first element is moved to the last position, the second element is moved to the first position, and so on. Cyclic permutations are also known as circular permutations.

2. How is a cyclic permutation represented?

A cyclic permutation can be represented using cycle notation, where the elements that are moved are enclosed in parentheses. For example, the cyclic permutation (1 2 3 4) represents the rearrangement of the elements 1, 2, 3, and 4 in a circular fashion.

3. What is the order of a cyclic permutation?

The order of a cyclic permutation is the number of elements that are moved in the permutation. In other words, it is the number of cycles in the cycle notation. For example, the order of the cyclic permutation (1 2 3 4) is 4, as there are 4 elements that are moved.

4. What is the difference between a cyclic permutation and a transposition?

A cyclic permutation involves moving multiple elements in a circular fashion, while a transposition only involves swapping two elements. Additionally, a cyclic permutation can have an order greater than 2, while a transposition always has an order of 2.

5. How are cyclic permutations used in mathematics and science?

Cyclic permutations are commonly used in group theory, combinatorics, and abstract algebra. They are also used in cryptography, where they can be used to encrypt and decrypt messages. In science, cyclic permutations can be used to model cyclic processes, such as the carbon cycle in biology or the water cycle in earth science.