Can you work out the answer for the lazy swine?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the group discussed the number of possible permutations for setting up a normal game of chess. They came up with several approaches and calculations, ranging from 645,120 to 208089907200 possible combinations. However, there were several factors that made this problem difficult, such as the lack of clarity on what constitutes a "normal game" and whether the pieces were numbered. Ultimately, the group settled on the number 13,005,619,200 as the most likely answer.
One night after enjoying a slap up meal at the "Sweaty Chef" kebab shop Timmy Thomas found himself at a loose end whilst waiting for his favourite TV program, Pro-celebrity nude underwater longdistance Monkey hurdling, to begin. He turned to his chess set (a full normal chess set) and numbered each piece uniquely. He wonder to himself
"I wonder how many ways (permutations) are there to set up the board to begin a normal game?"
Being Timmy Thomas he never actually got round to working it out.
Can you work out the answer for the lazy swine?

Physics news on Phys.org
It figures.
The first one I get to that hasn't been answered already, and I don't know it!

:D

I will give it a shot, though.

I came up with 645,120 different combinations.
That number feels WAY OFF though.

The other number I came up with is (322,560^2)^2.
I am lost, but I gave it a shot.
I can't wait to see how it is actually supposed to be done.

I got it!
(I think I got it, anyway)

208089907200 possible combinations.

There are 40320 possible combinations of pawn placements on one side.
Switch the rooks, that makes 80640.
Switch the knights, that makes 161280.
Switch the bishops, that makes 322560 different possible combinations on one side.

For each of thiose, there are 322560 different possible combinations on the other side.

322560^2 = 104044953600.

Switcs sides:
104044953600 * 2 = 208089907200 possible combinations.

[?] [?]

I think you got it right too, but here's an attempt at being pedantic anyway:

For white, the number of setups on one side of the board is P*R*N*B*Q*K = 8!*2!*2!*2!*1!*1! = 322560

where the letters indicate the number of possible permutations for the named piece.

Black has the same number of possibilities, giving the total 322560*322560 = 104044953600

If Timmy is using a regulation chess board, the ranks will be numbered 1 through 8 and the files will be lettered a through h. White has to be on ranks 1 and 2 while black sets up on ranks 7 and 8, so you can't switch sides. So my final answer is 104044953600 permutations.

EDIT: But that was your second answer anyway, so I guess you win either way. D'oh.

Last edited:
Let me ask something...
(not a math wiz, obviously)
I had a helluva time trying to come up with a simple equation for how many possible combinations there are for 8 pawns on 8 squares.
What I ended up with (in a round about way, through trial and error) was this:

1 pawn= 1 possibility
2...2*1=1
3...2*3=6
4...6*4=24
5...24*5=120
6...120*6=720
7...720*7=5040
8...5040*8=40320

Is there some simple linear relationship I am missing here?
I know that if you had 8 numbers to go into 8 squares, and repetition is allowed, your possible combinations would be 8^8.
But this doesn't look quite that simple.
Or is it, and I am just missing something?

If you have n identical pieces on m squares then you have m!/(n! (m-n)!) possible combinations. If you have n different pieces on m squares that's m!/(m-n)! possibilities.

The problem, as posed, is woefully unclear about what a "normal game" is. Do the pieces need to start on the back two ranks? Can the game start in check? Do the bishops need to be on different colors?

In addition, the problem does not clarify whether the pawns, or other pieces are numbered.

Without any restrictions, we can calculate the number of starting arrangements of pieces on the board:

Then we would have:
64!/(8!*56!)*
56!/(8!*48!)*
54!/(2!*52!)*
52!/(2!*50!)*
50!/(2!*48!)*
48!/(2!*46!)*
46!/(2!*44!)*
44!/(2!*42!)*
42!/(38!)

Which telescopes to
64!/(2!6*8!2*38!)

Of course, this list does not eliminate the illegal starting positions like starting with a pawn on the 8th rank, and starting in check, neither of which is legal.

Since I don't see an easy way to deal with the problem above, I'll look at the 'starting in the regular area' problem for a moment:

It's quite easy to solve if the pawns are on the second rank. Now we've got eight squares per side, and the number of arrangements is:
8!/(2!*6!)*
6!/(2!*4!)*
4!/(2!*2!)*
2!/0!
all squared
some simple cancellation gives:
(8!/(2!*2!*2!)2=
7!2
or 25401600

If we throw in the pawns on each side naively, that adds a factor of (16!/(8!*8!))2 for a total of
4207442279040000 positions.
Unfortunately, there are a large number of positions in that list that have the king in check. I can't think of any good approach to this problem other than splitting the situation into three cases for each side:
The king on the back rank - no check possibility
The king on the outside four files and on the front rank - checks from opposing bishop,queen (2 positions), and rook possible.
rank - checks from opposing bishop and queen possible.

Technically, you could claim that 'normal game of chess' refers to FIDE rules, and that the permutations refers to the number of rearangements that could occur if the pieces were all numbered without upsetting the starting set up. That number is:
8!2*2!6=13005619200

[EDIT: I misread the question. The answer is 13,005,619,200, 26,011,238,400 if you allow rotations of the board]

Last edited:
one_raven with the point!

1. How can you work out the answer for the lazy swine?

As a scientist, I follow a systematic process of observation, experimentation, and analysis to find solutions to problems. In this case, I would use my critical thinking skills and available resources to determine the answer for the lazy swine.

2. Is it possible to find an answer for the lazy swine without doing any work?

Unfortunately, no. Finding an answer requires effort and work. As a scientist, I understand the importance of hard work and dedication in finding solutions to problems.

3. Can the answer for the lazy swine be determined through observation alone?

It is possible to gather some information through observation, but to find a definitive answer, I would need to conduct experiments and analyze the data collected. Science is based on evidence, and observation alone may not always provide enough evidence to find a solution.

4. How long would it take to work out the answer for the lazy swine?

The time it takes to find an answer can vary depending on the complexity of the problem and the available resources. As a scientist, I would strive to find an answer efficiently and effectively, but it is important to allow enough time for thorough research and analysis.

5. Can the answer for the lazy swine be proven without a doubt?

In science, nothing can be proven without a doubt. Theories and hypotheses are constantly being tested and revised as new evidence and information is discovered. As a scientist, I would use the best available evidence to support my findings, but I am always open to new information that may change our understanding of a problem.