Curvilinear motion of force-couple system

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of forces that has been reduced to a force-couple system. The challenge is predicting the motion of the force and couple due to the changing direction of the force as the moment turns the particle. The question arises of which force causes tangential acceleration and which causes normal acceleration. The conversation also mentions constants and a torque and force applied to a box, with a diagram being requested for better understanding. There is a debate about whether the box has both rotational and translational acceleration and whether the problem has been analyzed correctly.
Fishon91
I have a system of forces which I have reduced to a force-couple system. I am trying to predict the motion of the force and couple. This is hard because the force changes direction as the moment turns the particle. I imagine this should be turned into some sort of tangential-normal components. But which force causes tangential acceleration, and which force causes normal aceleration. The force or the moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you send a diagram?

In the attached photo A, L, D and Phi are constants. There is a torque and a force applied to this box, or whatever it is. In front of the box is what I imagine the motion caused by the force and the torque will make the box go in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 368
I think the question is probably one where the box has both rotational acceleration and translational acceleration. I am not sure you have analysed the problem correctly. A torque should be two balanced forces with a spacing between their lines of action. You seem to be giving the box an upward acceleration but I cannot see a force doing that.

The picture is a top view, not a side view. The picture is displayed in the X-Y plane.

Related to Curvilinear motion of force-couple system

1. What is curvilinear motion of force-couple system?

Curvilinear motion of force-couple system is a type of motion in which an object moves along a curved path while being acted upon by a combination of forces and couples. A force-couple system consists of both forces and couples, which are two types of mechanical actions that can cause motion.

2. How is curvilinear motion of force-couple system different from linear motion?

Curvilinear motion involves an object moving along a curved path, while linear motion involves an object moving in a straight line. In curvilinear motion, the object's velocity and acceleration can vary in both magnitude and direction, while in linear motion, they remain constant in both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in curvilinear motion of force-couple system?

Centripetal force is responsible for causing an object to travel along a curved path in curvilinear motion. It is always directed towards the center of the curved path and is necessary to maintain the object's circular motion. Without centripetal force, the object would continue moving in a straight line.

4. How do you calculate the net force in a curvilinear motion of force-couple system?

In a force-couple system, the net force is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object. This can be calculated using vector addition, taking into account the magnitude and direction of each individual force. The direction of the net force will determine the direction of the object's acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of curvilinear motion of force-couple system?

Curvilinear motion of force-couple system can be observed in various phenomena such as the motion of a car turning around a curve, the orbit of planets around the sun, or the movement of a ball on a curved surface. It is also relevant in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes perform movements along curved paths.