Curvilinear Coordinates and Vector Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying two operator identities using the given equations and attempting to simplify the equations using identities. The suggested method is to expand the equations and use the double vector product identity for a simpler solution.
limddavid

Homework Statement

With [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] = -i[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] x [itex]\nabla[/itex], verify the operator identities

[itex]\nabla = \hat{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{r}}-i\frac{\vec{r}\times\vec{L}}{r^{2}}[/itex]
and
[itex]\vec{r} \bigtriangledown ^2 - \bigtriangledown (1+\vec{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial \vec{r}})=i\bigtriangledown \times \vec{L}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

... I tried to expand it, and use some identities... But the equation becomes super complicated... Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see other way to do it other than expanding and writing the nabla operator in spherical coordinates...The only identity you need is the one for double vector product

[tex] \vec{A}\times \left(\vec{B}\times\vec{C}\right) = \ ... [/tex]

Related to Curvilinear Coordinates and Vector Calculus

1. What are curvilinear coordinates?

Curvilinear coordinates are a system of coordinates that describe the position of a point in a 2D or 3D space using a combination of curved lines. They are used to represent points in a space that cannot be easily described using a Cartesian coordinate system.

2. How are curvilinear coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Unlike Cartesian coordinates, which use perpendicular axes to describe a point's position, curvilinear coordinates use curved lines to describe a point's position. This allows for a more flexible representation of points in curved spaces, such as on a sphere or in a cylindrical or spherical coordinate system.

3. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector fields, which are functions that assign a vector to each point in a given space. It involves the use of vector operations, such as differentiation and integration, to analyze and solve problems related to vector fields.

4. How is vector calculus used in curvilinear coordinates?

In curvilinear coordinates, vector calculus is used to analyze and manipulate vector fields in non-Cartesian coordinate systems. This includes operations such as gradient, divergence, and curl, which are used to study the behavior of vector fields in curved spaces.

5. What are some applications of curvilinear coordinates and vector calculus?

Curvilinear coordinates and vector calculus have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are commonly used to analyze fluid dynamics, electromagnetics, and other physical phenomena that occur in non-Cartesian coordinate systems. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models and animations of objects in curved spaces.