Curves defined by parametric curves

In summary, we can eliminate the parameter $\theta$ from the given equations and find a Cartesian equation of the curve $x=sin\frac{1}{2} \theta$, $y=cos\frac{1}{2} \theta$ with $-\pi \le \theta \le \pi$. By squaring the first equation, we can rewrite the second equation as $y=x^2+1$. However, we need to account for the restriction on $\theta$ by writing the equation as $x^2+y^2=1$ and $y \ge 0$. Alternatively, we can write the equation as $y=\sqrt{1-x^2}$ to satisfy all initial conditions.
ineedhelpnow
eliminate the parameter to find a cartesian equation of the curve.

$x=sin\frac{1}{2} \theta$
$y=cos\frac{1}{2} \theta$
$-\pi \le \theta \le \pi$

$x=e^t-1$
$y=e^{2t}$

Physics news on Phys.org
1.) Hint: Pythagorean identity.

2.) Hint: Square the first equation...

is the second one $y=x^2+1$

ineedhelpnow said:
is the second one $y=x^2+1$

No, the first equation may be written as:

\(\displaystyle e^t=x+1\)

Square:

\(\displaystyle e^{2t}=(x+1)^2\)

\(\displaystyle y=(x+1)^2\)

oh i see. i just disregarded the sign for some reason. and that second one would be $x^2+y^2=1$, right? square both sides and then use identity which simplifies one side of the equation to 1

ineedhelpnow said:
oh i see. i just disregarded the sign for some reason. and that second one would be $x^2+y^2=1$, right? square both sides and then use identity which simplifies one side of the equation to 1

Yes...but do you need to account for the restriction on $\theta$?

i don't know. only when graphing it?

ineedhelpnow said:
only when graphing it?

Well, since the graph represents the set of points that satisfy the given equation, it's not only the graph you need worry about. Does every point on the circle satisfy all of the original conditions? If not, can we write the equation is such a way that all initial conditions are satisfied?

isnt it just $x^2+y^2=1$ $y \ge 0$

ineedhelpnow said:
isnt it just $x^2+y^2=1$ $y \ge 0$

Yes, or you could just write:

\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{1-x^2}\)

This describes the curve and ensures $0\le y$ all in one statement.

oh ok. i see what you mean now.

Related to Curves defined by parametric curves

1. What are parametric curves?

Parametric curves are a type of mathematical curve that is defined by a set of equations, known as parametric equations. These equations use a parameter, typically denoted by t, to represent different points along the curve. By varying the value of the parameter, the curve can be traced out, revealing its shape and characteristics.

2. How are parametric curves different from regular curves?

Parametric curves differ from regular curves in that they are defined by a set of equations rather than a single function. This allows for more flexibility in the shape and behavior of the curve. Additionally, parametric curves can represent more complex shapes that cannot be easily described by a single function.

3. What are some common examples of parametric curves?

Some common examples of parametric curves include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and spirals. These curves can be described using parametric equations and are often used in mathematics and physics to model real-world phenomena.

4. How are parametric curves used in scientific research?

Parametric curves are used in scientific research in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to model the motion of objects, describe the behavior of physical systems, and create complex shapes for computer-generated graphics. They are also commonly used in data analysis and visualization.

5. What are the advantages of using parametric curves?

One of the main advantages of using parametric curves is their flexibility and ability to represent complex shapes. They also allow for more precise control over the behavior of the curve through the use of parameters. Parametric curves can also be used to create smooth and continuous animations, making them useful in computer graphics and animation.