Curve Parametrization: Minimum Parameters for Unique Point Specification

In summary, the minimum number of parameters needed to uniquely specify a point in a curved line is one. This is true for 1-dimensional manifolds such as a circle, but not for higher-dimensional manifolds which may require more coordinates for embedding. However, locally the line element of a curved manifold may have a Euclidean form, meaning it can be described with fewer coordinates. The Whitney embedding theorem states that every smooth n-dimensional manifold can be embedded in a 2n-dimensional space, but in some specific cases, fewer coordinates may be needed. It is difficult to find analytical parametrizations for arbitrary objects. Additionally, for intrinsically curved surfaces, the curvature parameter can be used as a third coordinate in a 3-dimensional
TrickyDicky
What is the minimum number of parameters needed to uniquely specify a point in a curved line?

Physics news on Phys.org
One?

What are you trying to get at?

Ben Niehoff said:
One?

What are you trying to get at?

I have some concepts muddled and I'm trying to clear them up.
I know that topologically is enough with one parameter since bending is ignored, but if we write the line element of say a circle I would say that since we must embed it in a plane it should require two parameters: one plus the radius of curvature but I'm not sure. Maybe there is an intuitive way to understand this.

Last edited:
A circle can be described as (cos(t),sin(t)). So it requires only one parameter, namely t...

micromass said:
A circle can be described as (cos(t),sin(t)). So it requires only one parameter, namely t...

Yes, maybe I'm conflating parameters with coordinates, you just used a pair of numbers to define a point in the circle.

Well, to describe a point in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], you'll need two values. So to describe a curve you'll need 2 coordinates. If that's what you're getting at.

micromass said:
Well, to describe a point in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex], you'll need two values. So to describe a curve you'll need 2 coordinates. If that's what you're getting at.

Basically what I was thinking is that for every curved manifold of a given dimension (one in the case of the circle), one needs n+1 coordinates to describe it in terms of the Euclidean embedding space, right?
But since the curvature is intrinsic it shouldn't need to be embedded, (locally it would be Euclidean) so what is the line element of a circle with one coordinate?

anybody there? Did I ask wrong?

TrickyDicky said:
Basically what I was thinking is that for every curved manifold of a given dimension (one in the case of the circle), one needs n+1 coordinates to describe it in terms of the Euclidean embedding space, right?

This is certainly not true in general. It happens to be true for 1-dimensional manifolds though.
Take the Klein bottle for example, this has dimension 2, but one needs 4 coordinates to describe it, i.e. it can only be embedded in [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

In general, take a look at the Whitney embedding theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_embedding_theorem
which states that every smooth n-dimensional manifold can be embedded in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2n}[/itex]. One cannot do better in general, although in some specific cases we can.

micromass said:
This is certainly not true in general. It happens to be true for 1-dimensional manifolds though.
Take the Klein bottle for example, this has dimension 2, but one needs 4 coordinates to describe it, i.e. it can only be embedded in [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

In general, take a look at the Whitney embedding theorem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_embedding_theorem
which states that every smooth n-dimensional manifold can be embedded in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2n}[/itex]. One cannot do better in general, although in some specific cases we can.
You are right of course, I wasn't very precise, thanks for the reference.

My point was that if we have a curved manifold, say a two-sphere embedded in a 3-space, its line element may have 3 coordinates, but locally it will have a Euclidean form, a local chart with dimension 2, is this right?

TrickyDicky said:
What is the minimum number of parameters needed to uniquely specify a point in a curved line?

If a proper parametrization exists, then one if your object is a line, no matter how many dimensions that curve is embedded in.

For arbitrary objects, finding an analytical parametrization is pretty damn hard though.

chiro said:
If a proper parametrization exists, then one if your object is a line, no matter how many dimensions that curve is embedded in.
Sure, I was mixing there parameters, coordinates and dimensions.

If we had for instance an intrinsically curved surface, could we use the curvature parameter as a third coordinate in a 3-space embedding?
(Sorry if this is very basic stuff for you guys, I'm not sure where I should post this kind of questions.)

Related to Curve Parametrization: Minimum Parameters for Unique Point Specification

What is curve parametrization?

Curve parametrization is the process of representing a curve in terms of a single parameter, usually denoted by t. This allows for the precise description and calculation of points on the curve.

Why is it important to have minimum parameters for unique point specification?

Having a minimum number of parameters for unique point specification is important because it simplifies the representation of a curve and makes it easier to work with mathematically. It also ensures that there is one and only one point specified for each value of the parameter.

How is the minimum number of parameters determined for curve parametrization?

The minimum number of parameters for curve parametrization is determined by the degree of the curve, which is the highest power of the parameter t in the equation. For example, a degree 2 curve, also known as a quadratic curve, would have a minimum of 2 parameters for unique point specification.

What are some common methods for curve parametrization?

Some common methods for curve parametrization include linear, quadratic, cubic, and polynomial parametrization. These methods use different equations and numbers of parameters to represent curves of different degrees.

Are there any limitations to curve parametrization?

Yes, there are limitations to curve parametrization. Some curves, such as fractal curves, cannot be fully represented with a finite number of parameters. Additionally, some curves may require a higher number of parameters for unique point specification in order to accurately represent their shape.