Curvature of horizon using trig

In summary: You said the for the tower, the horizon was some angle below horizontal. Do you know how to find that angle. If so then I think you are supposed to assume that the tip of the meter stick is at the same horizontal level as your eye. Since the horizon is at some angle below that, it should be pretty straightforward trig to find the distance on the meter stick that marks the level of the horizon.
nobahar
Hello!

In New Scientist this week (actually next week!), there was a question concerning the curvature at the horizon.

The formula is as follows for the distance to the horizon:
(2*6373*h)^1/2 km; where h is the height of the individual from the ground.
Using the exaple it states a towe 150m high the horizon will be 44km away and displaced down by 0.39 degrees.
That's all fine, but the next bit states that by holding a 1m stick 1m in front of you, the ends of the stick will be 0.8mm above the horizon. Intrested to know how this was arrived at.
Although I'm not sure whether this is in the right place or not, I'm pretty sure it'd be beneficial for anyne else with trig questions!

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You said the for the tower, the horizon was some angle below horizontal. Do you know how to find that angle. If so then I think you are supposed to assume that the tip of the meter stick is at the same horizontal level as your eye. Since the horizon is at some angle below that, it should be pretty straightforward trig to find the distance on the meter stick that marks the level of the horizon. You have a right triangle and you know the horizonal leg is 1m and the angle at the vertex where your eye is.

nobahar said:
Hello!

In New Scientist this week (actually next week!), there was a question concerning the curvature at the horizon.

The formula is as follows for the distance to the horizon:
(2*6373*h)^1/2 km; where h is the height of the individual from the ground.
Using the exaple it states a towe 150m high the horizon will be 44km away and displaced down by 0.39 degrees.
That's all fine, but the next bit states that by holding a 1m stick 1m in front of you, the ends of the stick will be 0.8mm above the horizon. Intrested to know how this was arrived at.
Although I'm not sure whether this is in the right place or not, I'm pretty sure it'd be beneficial for anyne else with trig questions!

Thanks in advance!
You have a right triangle in which the "near" side is 1 m and the angle is 0.39 degrees.
The "opposite" side is given by 1*tan(.39)= 0.006806 m. or about 6 mm, not "0.8".

HallsofIvy, What is your actual scholarship? I mean, you help a lot around here and i try to do the same. I feel bad asking questions when i don't even try to anwser others :P

Isn't this telling me the degree's downwards from horizontal the horizon is?
If I was to hold the metre stick along the horizon, there would be a slight downwards curvature at either end. Is this what has been calculated? (If so, I've misunderstood the explanations!) A diagram of some sort, if possible, would be appreciated!
Furthermore, progressively left or right from the stick is THE SAME distance from me, since I am on a sphere. Instead of being an increasing distance. Can anyone elaborate for me?
As always... Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Related to Curvature of horizon using trig

1. What is the curvature of the horizon?

The curvature of the horizon refers to the degree to which the surface of the Earth appears to bend or curve when viewed from a distance. This curvature is a result of the Earth's spherical shape.

2. How is the curvature of the horizon measured?

The curvature of the horizon can be calculated using trigonometry. By measuring the distance between two points on the horizon and the angle of elevation between those points and the observer's eye, the curvature can be determined using the formula for arc length.

3. What factors affect the curvature of the horizon?

The curvature of the horizon is primarily affected by the distance between the observer and the horizon, as well as the elevation of the observer's eye. The Earth's radius and the atmospheric conditions can also have a minor impact on the perceived curvature.

4. Can the curvature of the horizon be seen from any point on Earth?

Yes, the curvature of the horizon can be seen from any point on Earth, as long as there is a clear line of sight to the horizon and the observer is at a high enough elevation to view it.

5. Why is the Earth's curvature important to understand?

Understanding the curvature of the Earth is important in various fields such as navigation, geography, and astronomy. It also helps us understand the Earth's shape and how it affects our perception of the world around us.