Curvature of curve with arbitrary parametrization

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a proof of the formula for the curvature of an arbitrarily parametrized curve without using the Frenet frame, the use of the chain rule to prove \textbf{r}' = \textbf{r}_{s}' s', and the recommendation of Do Carmo's book for basic differential geometry.
ccosta
Hi, I'm preparing a little exposition of curvature and torsion for my Calculus class and so I need to include some simple proofs for the things I'll use to define curvature. So I'm looking for a proof of the formula for the curvature of an arbitrarily parametrized curve that doens't use the Frenet frame; it'll get too complicated for a 15 minute presentation. The closest thing to what I'm looking for is in Pogorelov's Differential geometry which goes like this:

Say [tex]\textbf{r} = \textbf{r}(t)[/tex] is a vector valued function. He then goes on to take the derivative with respect to t, remembering that the arclength can be expressed as a function of time:
[tex]\textbf{r}' = \textbf{r}_{s}' s'[/tex]
What I understand by this notation is:
[tex](x'(t),y'(t),z'(t)) = (x'(s)s'(t),y'(s)s'(t),z'(s)s'(t))[/tex],
where the derivatives are take with respect to their arguments. He then goes on to say that from that formula, we can arrive at:
[tex]{\textbf{r}'}^2={s'}^2[/tex]
This is the unclear point for me. The rest is pretty straight forward, he uses the first formula to find an expression for [tex]\textbf{r}_{s}'[/tex] in terms of [tex]\textbf{r}'[/tex], which he differentiates again with respect to [tex]t[/tex] and the proof if pretty much done. However, I don't understand how he jumps from the first to the second equation.

Something else I've been looking for is an easy way to prove that the derivative of a parametrization by arclenght has unit norm.
And one last thing, any books to be recommended? I'm looking for very basic DG books, nothing on manifolds or even surfaces, but it must treat space curves.

Thanks to all!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, there are a few ways you can go about proving the equation \textbf{r}' = \textbf{r}_{s}' s'. One way is to use the chain rule. Since \textbf{r} = \textbf{r}(t), its derivative can be written as \textbf{r}' = \textbf{r}_{t}' t' (where \textbf{r}_{t}' is the derivative with respect to t). Since arclength s is a function of t, we can express s' as a function of t': s' = f(t'). Therefore, \textbf{r}' = \textbf{r}_{t}' t' = \textbf{r}_{s}' f(t') = \textbf{r}_{s}' s'. To prove that the derivative of a parametrization by arclength has unit norm, you can use the fact that the unit tangent vector of a parametrized curve is given by \textbf{T} = \textbf{r}'/\|\textbf{r}'\|. Since we already know that \|\textbf{r}'\| = s', we can substitute this expression into \textbf{T} and get \textbf{T} = \textbf{r}'/s', which implies that \|\textbf{r}'\| = s'. As for books, I would recommend Do Carmo's Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces. This book covers the basics of differential geometry, including space curves, but doesn't go too deep into the more advanced topics.

Related to Curvature of curve with arbitrary parametrization

1. What is the curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization?

The curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization is a measure of how much the curve deviates from being a straight line at a given point. It is represented by the reciprocal of the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

2. How is the curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization calculated?

The curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization can be calculated using the formula:
K = |r'(t) × r''(t)| / |r'(t)|^3
Where r(t) is the position vector of the curve at time t, and r'(t) and r''(t) are the first and second derivatives of r(t) respectively.

3. What does the sign of the curvature indicate?

The sign of the curvature indicates the direction of the curve at a given point. A positive curvature means the curve is bending towards the direction of the curve, while a negative curvature means the curve is bending away from the direction of the curve.

4. Can the curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization be negative?

Yes, the curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization can be negative. This means that the curve is bending in the opposite direction of the curve's direction at that point.

5. How is the curvature used in real-world applications?

The curvature of a curve with arbitrary parametrization is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It helps in designing curved structures, analyzing the motion of objects, and creating smooth and realistic visual effects in animation.