Curvature and Tangential angle

In summary, in Differential Geometry by Heinrich Guggenheimer, the author provides a proof, Theorem 2-19, on the angle between a chord through points s and s' and the tangent at s. This is determined by taking the integral of the curvature (with respect to arc length) from s' to s. However, there may be confusion as the integral of curvature is typically used to find the angle between the tangent and the x-axis. In this case, it should be the angle between the tangents at the endpoints, which can be calculated by finding the slope of the chord. The proof can be found on page 31 of the book, which is available on Google Books.
ForMyThunder
In Differential Geometry by Heinrich Guggenheimer (if you have the book, the proof I am asking about is Theorem 2-19), he gives the angle between a chord through points s and s' and the tangent at s, as the integral of the curvature (with respect to arc length) from s' to s. I'm not sure how he got this, because I thought that the integral of curvature gave the angle between the tangent and the x-axis. Or maybe I'm not understanding something.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be the angle between the tangents at the endpoints. (You can, of course, calculate the slope of the chord thereon).

Related to Curvature and Tangential angle

1. What is curvature?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from being a straight line. It is defined as the reciprocal of the radius of curvature at any given point on the curve.

2. How is curvature calculated?

The curvature of a curve can be calculated using the formula K = |dT/ds|, where K is the curvature, T is the unit tangent vector, and ds is the arc length parameter. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as the second derivative of the curve's equation with respect to the arc length parameter.

3. What is the significance of curvature?

Curvature is an important concept in mathematics and physics, and is used to describe the shape of curves and surfaces. It has practical applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and robotics.

4. What is tangential angle?

The tangential angle, also known as the angle of inclination, is the angle formed between a curve and a tangent line drawn at a specific point on the curve. It represents the slope or steepness of the curve at that point.

5. How is tangential angle related to curvature?

The tangential angle and curvature are related through the formula K = tan(θ) / r, where K is the curvature, θ is the tangential angle, and r is the radius of curvature. This means that the curvature is directly proportional to the tangential angle, and inversely proportional to the radius of curvature.