Currents and voltages with resistors

In summary, two identical long bulbs with a resistance of 50 ohms each are wired in series and connected to a 4.5-volt battery pack. The voltage across each bulb is 4.5 volts and the current through each bulb is 0.09 amps. This is the same as the current flowing out of the battery, as all components in a series circuit share the same current. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each bulb remains at 4.5 volts, but the total current is the sum of the individual currents in each branch, which in this case is 0.18 amps.
runningirl

Homework Statement

Two identical long bulbs are wired in series and connected to a 4.5-volt battery pack. The resistance of each bulb is 50 ohms.

a. Determine the voltage across each bulb.
b. Determine current through each bulb.
c. How does this compare to the current flowing out of the battery?
d. repeat this problem in parallel circuit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (4.5/50)(50)=4.5 V for both? but i don't think that's right since it's in a series...
b. 4.5/50 amps for both
c. shouldn't it be the same since it's in a series?
d. i had no idea??

Physics news on Phys.org

Draw the circuit. Represent the bulbs as resistors. What's the total resistance that the battery pack "sees"?

isn't it 100 ohms?

Yes. So what's the current supplied to the series circuit by the 4.5V battery pack to the 100 ohm net resistance?

4.5/100

You should supply units for your numbers, so it's 4.5/100 amps, or 45 milliamps. In short form, 45 mA.

Now, with 45 mA flowing through a 50 ohm bulb, what's the voltage across it?

oh, it's just 45(50) V.
would the current for each bulb still be 45...?
and how would this change for a parallel circuit>

All components connected in series share the same current, so both bulbs have 45 mA flowing through them.

Be sure to keep track of the orders of magnitudes for units. "45" here is in milliamps, or 1000ths of an amp.

Components in connected in parallel share the same voltage rather than the same current.

is this how i would find current in the parallel circuit?
1/50+1/50=2/50=1/R
R=25 ohms
then to find circuit, i would need the voltage for each bulb...
but how would i find that? is it 2.75 for each?

runningirl said:
is this how i would find current in the parallel circuit?
1/50+1/50=2/50=1/R
R=25 ohms
then to find circuit, i would need the voltage for each bulb...
but how would i find that? is it 2.75 for each?

Both bulbs are connected directly across the battery. A component connected directly across a voltage supply must have that supply voltage across it. The only possible voltage each bulb can have is that of the battery.

Since the voltage across each bulb is fixed at 4.5V, you can calculate the current in each bulb. Add them to find the total current.

Note:

In a parallel circuit
1. Parallel branches all share the same voltage
2. Total current is the sum of the currents in the branches

In a series circuit
1. All components share the same current
2. The total voltage is the sum of the individual voltages across all components.

4.5/50=I for each bulb.
then .18 mA for the total current in the parallel circuit.

is that right?

runningirl said:
4.5/50=I for each bulb.
then .18 mA for the total current in the parallel circuit.

is that right?

Correct.

Related to Currents and voltages with resistors

1. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a resistor?

The relationship between current and voltage in a resistor is described by Ohm's law, which states that the current through a resistor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. This means that as the voltage increases, the current through the resistor also increases, and vice versa.

2. How does resistance affect current and voltage?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. In a resistor, a higher resistance will result in a lower current for a given voltage, as it restricts the flow of electrons. Similarly, a higher resistance will cause a larger voltage drop across the resistor, as the electrons have to do more work to pass through it.

3. Can the current through a resistor ever be greater than the applied voltage?

No, the current through a resistor cannot be greater than the applied voltage. This is because Ohm's law states that the current is directly proportional to the voltage, so the current cannot exceed the voltage. However, the current can be limited by other factors such as the power supply or the resistance of other components in the circuit.

4. How can I calculate the current or voltage in a circuit with resistors?

To calculate the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. To calculate the voltage, you can rearrange the equation to V = IR. If there are multiple resistors in a circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to calculate the total current and voltage in the circuit.

5. Why do resistors produce heat when current flows through them?

When current flows through a resistor, the electrons experience resistance and must do work to pass through the material. This work is converted into heat energy, causing the resistor to heat up. This is why resistors have power ratings, as they can only handle a certain amount of heat before they start to malfunction or even burn out.