Currently on a BS in Comp Engr. What should I minor in?

• Thread starter TheCuriousAsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, the person is currently majoring in Computer Engineering Hardware track and is considering what minor or double major to pursue. They have tried to do a major in Electrical Engineering and a minor in Computer Science, but were not allowed. They are now considering a minor in CIS within the business department, which covers programming in Visual Basic and business-oriented classes. The person is unsure if they should take the minor, even if it means delaying graduation. They are seeking recommendations for other minors/majors that would complement their degree.
TheCuriousAsk
Hi I currently doing Computer Engineering Hardware track (digital logic, microcontroller and signals concentration), I would like to know what to minor or double major in... I also do a lot of C++ programming and know a lot of UNIX/linux OS. But I feel the Comp Engr. degree is very broad and I shouldn't limit miself to the degree requirements. Therefore, I tried to do EE major but I wasn't allowed, a tried a Comp science minor, but wasn't allowed either... The onl thing I am allowed within math and science is minor in math (which is only 3 more courses), physics, chem, biol... However, recently I discovered the minor in CIS within the bussiness dept. They also cover programming but in the Visual Basic language, and business orieented classes, a lot of IT project management and systems analysis classes... Should I take the minor? Even If I have to do another more semester? Or what other minor/majors should you recommend that might become an excellent mix with Comp engr?

Physics news on Phys.org
<Insert standard rant about the uselessness of minors here.>

Are you interested in business programming? If so, take the courses, if not skip them. If you want to do that sort of work, taking a few courses could be useful.

EDIT: Oh, and unless you are passionately interested in entering that field, I wouldn't delay graduation to take these courses. Certainly not for the privilege of calling them a minor.

Related to Currently on a BS in Comp Engr. What should I minor in?

1. What are the benefits of minoring in a subject while pursuing a BS in Computer Engineering?

Minoring in a subject while pursuing a BS in Computer Engineering can provide a well-rounded education and expand your knowledge beyond your main area of study. It can also show potential employers your versatility and ability to excel in multiple areas.

2. What minors complement a BS in Computer Engineering?

Some minors that may complement a BS in Computer Engineering include mathematics, physics, business, or a specific programming language. It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests.

3. Can I minor in a subject outside of my college or university?

Yes, it is possible to minor in a subject outside of your college or university. However, you may need to take extra steps to ensure that your minor courses transfer and count towards your degree requirements.

4. How many credits are required for a minor?

The number of credits required for a minor can vary depending on the college or university. Typically, it ranges from 15-18 credits, but it is best to check with your academic advisor for specific requirements.

5. Will minoring in a subject affect my graduation timeline?

Minoring in a subject may add extra courses to your workload, which could potentially affect your graduation timeline. However, with careful planning and course selection, it is possible to complete a minor without delaying your graduation.