Current Topics in Theoretical Physics for Your Graduation Thesis

In summary, your professor told you to think in something current in theoretical physics, and you are lost because there are so many things in physics. Some ideas would be simulating a flight of a frisbee, aerobee, boomerang, baseball... or the flight of a skateboard.
Monalisa
I am almost finishing my graduation course, just more 6 months, I tried to work with biological physics for one and a half year, but I did not like, anyway, I need to write my thesis to present at the end of my course, my professor told me to think in something current in theoretical physics, he works with solid state physics, and also a lot of things related to electromagnetism. I have no idea, there are so many things in physics, that I am lost.

Some ideas would be really useful

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How is your programming skills?

Perhaps a computational physics problem would be good.

Is this for an undergraduate thesis or a master's thesis? in physics right?

Yes, an undergraduate thesis

Monalisa said:
I am almost finishing my graduation course, just more 6 months, I tried to work with biological physics for one and a half year, but I did not like, anyway, I need to write my thesis to present at the end of my course, my professor told me to think in something current in theoretical physics, he works with solid state physics, and also a lot of things related to electromagnetism. I have no idea, there are so many things in physics, that I am lost.

Some ideas would be really useful

thanks

What were your favorite subjects/classes? Do you read any physics journals or publications regularly? Have you seen what others have done for their undergraduate thesis subjects in the past? :smile:

You could tackle a fun project like:
- the flight of a frisbee, aerobee, boomerang, baseball...
- simulating bicycle configurations to show stability
- simulate a motion of a skateboard or a particular movement of a skateboard like an ollie

With respect to the skateboard, there's a commonly cited master's thesis that may give you some ideas by Sarah Hummel:

http://biosport.ucdavis.edu/researc...ation-and-throw-biomechanics/HummelThesis.pdf

Some of these topics may be very complex and you'll have to decide how far you get into them. Bicycle movement can be a very complex topic to analyze as many experts disagree on why the bike works the way it does.

For bikes here's a discussion on of the physics:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/bicycles.html

Other things could be analyzing the physics of a Ring World. This was popular when I was in school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

and you might something here:

http://www.larryniven.net/physicsinscifi/

or you could analyze the Mars Direct mission ideas:

http://www.marssociety.org/home/about/mars-direct

There's a video on YouTube that describes some of the history too.

Last edited:

Related to Current Topics in Theoretical Physics for Your Graduation Thesis

1. What is a thesis project?

A thesis project is a research project that is completed by students in order to earn a degree. It is a comprehensive and original piece of work that demonstrates the student's ability to conduct research, analyze data, and present findings in a clear and organized manner.

2. How do I come up with ideas for a thesis project?

There are several ways to generate ideas for a thesis project. You can start by exploring topics that interest you and align with your field of study. You can also talk to your professors and colleagues for suggestions or look at previous research to identify gaps in the literature. Additionally, conducting a literature review can help you identify current trends and potential research questions.

3. Can I change my thesis project topic during the course of my research?

Yes, it is possible to change your thesis project topic during the course of your research. However, it is important to discuss any changes with your advisor and ensure that the new topic is feasible and aligns with the requirements of your degree program. It is also important to consider the potential impact on your timeline and make necessary adjustments.

4. How long does it take to complete a thesis project?

The time it takes to complete a thesis project varies depending on the requirements of your degree program and the complexity of your research. On average, it can take anywhere from several months to a year or more to complete a thesis project. It is important to plan ahead and allocate enough time for each stage of the research process.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing a thesis project?

To successfully complete a thesis project, it is important to start early and stay organized. Make sure to communicate regularly with your advisor and seek feedback throughout the research process. Be prepared to revise and refine your work based on feedback. It is also important to manage your time effectively and stay focused on your research goals. Finally, prioritize self-care and seek support from friends and family when needed.