Current through two different types of wire of different diameter

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the electric field strength that would result in the same current flowing through a 2.0 mm diameter nichrome wire and a 1.0 mm diameter aluminum wire. The conversation includes the equations used to solve the problem and the steps taken, but ultimately the correct answer is not found. The student plans to seek help from their professor.
RichardEpic

Homework Statement

For what electric field strength would the current in a 2.0 mm diameter nichrome wire be the same as the current in a 1.0 mm diameter aluminum wire in which the electric field strength is 0.0080 V/m?

aluminum diameter = 1.0 mm
Same current(I) flowing through both wires

Homework Equations

J = sigma*E... I/A = sigma*E
so...I = sigma*E*A
sigma = 1/rho
sigma = conductivity; rho = resistivity

The Attempt at a Solution

Equating the two currents, I solved for the unknown E-field:

E(nichrome) = (E*A*sigma(aluminum))/(A*sigma(nichrome))
rho(nichrome) = 1.1*10^-6 Ωm
rho(aluminum) = 2.82*10^-8 Ωm

I calculated the E-field to be approximately 0.078 V/m, but this was apparently wrong. Help would be appreciated..!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us the steps you took, so we can help you.

Really? All I did was "Equate the two current equations"...
So here it is:

σEA = σEA

The left side representing Nichrome, and then the right side representing aluminum. Then I solved for the E-field of the unknown wire getting:

E = (σEA)/(σA)

The top part of the fraction being aluminum properties, and the bottom being the properties of Nichrome. Is there anything that I have done wrong?

Your derivation was correct, I got the same result. What is the problem with it?

ehild

RichardEpic said:
Really? All I did was "Equate the two current equations"...
So here it is:

σEA = σEA

The left side representing Nichrome, and then the right side representing aluminum. Then I solved for the E-field of the unknown wire getting:

E = (σEA)/(σA)

The top part of the fraction being aluminum properties, and the bottom being the properties of Nichrome. Is there anything that I have done wrong?

How are the two areas related?

The homework website says my answer of 0.078 V/m is wrong. I'm utterly confused. I'll have to address my professor about this problem, as well as the other problem. I've double checked every single possible error for units, etc. as well.

Related to Current through two different types of wire of different diameter

1. What is the relationship between current and wire diameter?

The current through a wire is directly proportional to its diameter. This means that as the diameter of the wire increases, the current also increases.

2. How does the type of wire affect the current?

The type of wire can affect the current in several ways. Different materials have different resistances, which can impact the amount of current that can flow through the wire. Additionally, the thickness and composition of the wire can also affect the current.

3. Can current flow through wires of different diameters at the same rate?

No, current will not flow at the same rate through wires of different diameters. The thinner wire will have a higher resistance, which will limit the amount of current that can flow through it.

4. How does the length of the wire affect the current?

The length of the wire also plays a role in the current. Longer wires have higher resistance and therefore, less current can flow through them compared to shorter wires.

5. Is there a limit to the current that can flow through a wire?

Yes, there is a limit to the current that can flow through a wire. This limit is determined by the wire's composition, diameter, and length. If the current exceeds this limit, the wire may overheat and potentially cause damage.