Current Through R1 After Closing Switches in RC Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with resistors, capacitors, a battery, and switches. The values of the circuit elements are given and the switches are initially open with the capacitors uncharged. At time t = 0, the switches are closed and the current through resistor R1 is being discussed. There is a disagreement about whether to neglect resistor R3 or not, with one person arguing that it can be neglected because it is in parallel with 0 ohms and another arguing that it should not be neglected. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that R3 can be neglected and the circuit should be redrawn with the battery and R1 and R2 in series. This leads to the correct answer of 4.
driedupfish

Homework Statement

Three resistors, three capacitors, a battery, and two switches are connected in the circuit shown below. The values of all circuit elements are given in the figure. Originally, the switches S1 andS2 are open (as shown) and all of the capacitors are uncharged. At time t = 0, both switches are closed.
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys212/oldexams/exam2/fa06/fig17.gif

What is the current through resistor R1 immediately after the switches are closed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately (t=0) after the switches are closed, the capacitors should be uncharged. So they acts like wires. They have no V, that means there is no V across R3 as well since they are in parallel. So I redrew the circuit, having only the battery, R1 and R2 in series. And solve for the current, and that should be the current through R1.
9 V / (R1 + R2) = I1
But this isn't the answer apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just because there's no voltage drop across the capacitors is not a good enough reason to neglect R3. R3 is still connected to the battery and the other resistors.

I would bitterly complain that there is no reason to assume C1 is uncharged before T0. Afterall, this is an academic idealism, n stuff. Not that it changes the solutions...

R3 can be neglected. At t0 it is in parallel with 0 ohms.

Try drawing your circuit again with the switches and capacitors as shorts.

Last edited:
I am working on the past physics exams, the answer to this problem is 4.5 Amp (according to my textbook). Does that mean I only redraw the circuit with the battery and the R1?

Phrak said:
I would bitterly complain that there is no reason to assume C1 is uncharged before T0. Afterall, this is an academic idealism, n stuff. Not that it changes the solutions...

Try drawing your circuit again with the switches and capacitors as shorts.

I am sorry, maybe I didn't state the whole problem. Originally, the switches are open and all the capacitors are uncharged. At t=0 both switches are closed.

Phrak said:

what's the logic behind this?

Pythagorean said:
what's the logic behind this?

I operate logic free. Actually it's just habbit.

[tex]i(t) = C \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

For a step change in voltage, the change in current is infinite.

The dynamic resistance is [itex]\Delta v / \Delta i \ [/itex] . With delta i, infinite the resistance at t = +0 is zero.

Last edited:
driedupfish said:
I am working on the past physics exams, the answer to this problem is 4.5 Amp (according to my textbook). Does that mean I only redraw the circuit with the battery and the R1?

What happened to R2?

Phrak said:
What happened to R2?

This is what I thought too, I redrew the circuit with the battery and R1 R2 in series. So to solve for the current through R1 I used the equation V/ R, R = R1+R2, so V/ R12.

But that's not the right answer apparently.

If there's a short circuit in the circuit, all the current will go through it. No current through R2 or R3, no voltage drop.

Kruum said:
If there's a short circuit in the circuit, all the current will go through it. No current through R2 or R3, no voltage drop.

My mistake!

Listen to Kruum, and I'll take off :)

Phrak said:
I operate logic free. Actually it's just habbit.

[tex]i(t) = C \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

For a step change in voltage, the change in current is infinite.

The dynamic resistance is [itex]\Delta v / \Delta i \ [/itex] . With delta i, infinite the resistance at t = +0 is zero.

And of course, [tex]R_eq = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_3}+\frac{1}{0}} = 1/inf = 0[/tex]. I didn't even really know that mathematically, but it's obviously a short if you just think of it practically.Thanks for the proof!

Last edited:

Related to Current Through R1 After Closing Switches in RC Circuit

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is a type of electronic circuit commonly used in electronics, telecommunications, and other applications.

2. How does current flow through an RC circuit?

When the circuit is closed, current flows through the resistor and charges the capacitor. As the capacitor charges, the current decreases until it reaches a steady state where no more current flows through the circuit.

3. What happens to the current through R1 after closing the switches in an RC circuit?

After closing the switches in an RC circuit, the current through R1 will initially be high as the capacitor charges. As the capacitor charges, the current will decrease until it reaches a steady state with no current flowing through R1.

4. How does the value of the resistor affect the current in an RC circuit?

The value of the resistor affects the current in an RC circuit by determining the rate at which the capacitor charges. A higher resistor value will result in a slower charging rate and a lower current, while a lower resistor value will result in a faster charging rate and a higher current.

5. What is the relationship between current and time in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the current initially starts at a high value and decreases over time as the capacitor charges. The rate at which the current decreases is determined by the RC time constant, which is the product of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.