Current through inductor as function of time

In summary, the current through the inductor is given by i(t) = (e^{-0.1} + 4e^{-0.05} - e^{-10t} - e^{-5t})*10^3 + 10 mA.
Nick O

Homework Statement

The L=100 mH inductor in the following figure has an initial current of Io=10 mA. If the voltage is, v(t)=1e−10t+2e−5t V, what is the current, i(t), through the inductor?

Express your answer as a function of time with units of mA.

The figure shows an independent voltage source connected to an inductor.

inductor.PNG

Homework Equations

v = L(di/dt)
i dt = (v dt)/L
[itex]i = \int_{t_0}^{t} v dt + i_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the following equation:

[itex]i(t) = \frac{1}{0.1 H}(\int_{t_0}^{t} (e^{-10T}+2e^{-5T}) dT)*\frac{10^3 mA}{1 A} + 10 mA[/itex]

and obtained the following:

[itex]i(t) = (e^{-0.1} + 4e^{-0.05} - e^{-10t} - e^{-5t})*10^3 + 10 mA[/itex]

My homework software rejects this answer, saying that my "answer either contains an incorrect additive numerical constant or is missing one."

I can think of nothing that I might have omitted, and I know that this software is very picky. For example, when rounding, it rejects the "round 5 to even" rule that was instilled in me early on as completely incorrect, always expecting 5 to be rounded up even when followed only by zeroes. Given how picky the software is, I am not altogether convinced that my answer is actually wrong.

Does anyone see any obvious oversights in my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick O said:

Homework Statement

The L=100 mH inductor in the following figure has an initial current of Io=10 mA. If the voltage is, v(t)=1e−10t+2e−5t V, what is the current, i(t), through the inductor?

Express your answer as a function of time with units of mA.

The figure shows an independent voltage source connected to an inductor.

View attachment 67149

Homework Equations

v = L(di/dt)
i dt = (v dt)/L
[itex]i = \int_{t_0}^{t} v dt + i_0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the following equation:

[itex]i(t) = \frac{1}{0.1 H}(\int_{t_0}^{t} (e^{-10T}+2e^{-5T}) dT)*\frac{10^3 mA}{1 A} + 10 mA[/itex]

and obtained the following:

[itex]i(t) = (e^{-0.1} + 4e^{-0.05} - e^{-10t} - e^{-5t})*10^3 + 10 mA[/itex]

My homework software rejects this answer, saying that my "answer either contains an incorrect additive numerical constant or is missing one."

I can think of nothing that I might have omitted, and I know that this software is very picky. For example, when rounding, it rejects the "round 5 to even" rule that was instilled in me early on as completely incorrect, always expecting 5 to be rounded up even when followed only by zeroes. Given how picky the software is, I am not altogether convinced that my answer is actually wrong.

Does anyone see any obvious oversights in my work?
What did you use for t0, and why are you not simply using an indefinite integral, then applying the initial condition?

Likes 1 person
That's a very good question, and tells me that I need to get some sleep. Somehow, my [itex]t_0[/itex] ended up being 0.01 (that is, [itex]i_0[/itex]). What nonsense!

Thanks!

Related to Current through inductor as function of time

What is an inductor and how does it relate to current?

An inductor is an electrical component that is designed to store energy in the form of magnetic fields. When current flows through an inductor, a magnetic field is created around it, which allows it to store energy. The strength of this magnetic field is directly related to the amount of current flowing through the inductor.

How does the current through an inductor change over time?

The current through an inductor changes over time according to the equation I(t) = I0 * (1 - e^(-t/tau)), where I(t) is the current at any given time, I0 is the initial current, t is the time, and tau is the time constant of the inductor. This means that the current through an inductor will increase exponentially until it reaches its maximum value determined by the inductor's properties.

What factors affect the current through an inductor as a function of time?

The current through an inductor is affected by the inductance of the component, the voltage applied across it, and the resistance in the circuit. The inductance determines the strength of the magnetic field and thus, the amount of energy that can be stored. The voltage applied across the inductor determines how quickly the current will change, while the resistance in the circuit affects the rate at which the current reaches its maximum value.

How is the current through an inductor measured?

The current through an inductor can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is specifically designed to measure electrical current. The ammeter is connected in series with the inductor, meaning that the current must pass through it in order to reach the inductor. The ammeter will then display the current in units of amperes (A).

Can the current through an inductor be controlled?

Yes, the current through an inductor can be controlled by varying the voltage or resistance in the circuit. By changing the voltage, the rate at which the current changes can be altered. Similarly, by changing the resistance, the rate at which the current reaches its maximum value can be changed. This can be useful in regulating the amount of energy stored in the inductor.