Current through a branch of a circuit

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the resistance of a battery and lights connected in parallel. The first part is solved, but the second part is boggling my mind.
exitwound

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

V=ir
E=V-ir

The Attempt at a Solution

First part is solved. The EMF of the battery is higher than the actual output voltage due to the internal resistance of the battery. E=11.25, V measured is 10.5.

The second part is boggling my mind.

When both switches are closed, the circuit acts as resistors in parallel. Voltages across the branches would be the same. Current through each branch would vary.

Using Kirkhoff's loop rules, starting the LOWER RIGHT corner of the diagram:

Loop 1:
[itex]i_b(R_b)+E -i_s=0 [/itex]

Loop 2:
[itex]i_b(R_b)+e-i_L=0[/itex]

Equation 3:
[itex]i_b = i_s + i_L[/itex]

The current through the lights [itex](i_L)[/itex] is given as 14A. Therefore, we can use the idea that the voltage across the battery is the same as the voltage across the lights to solve for the resistance of the lights.

V=IR
[itex]10.5 = 14(R_L)[/itex]
[itex]R_L = .75[/itex]

At this point, I don't know how to proceed to get any closer to the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's wrong because the output voltage of the battery is not going to be the same (i.e. it won't be 10.5 V) in the second case (when both the starting motor and the lights are on). The reason is because adding another load means that more total current is drawn from the battery, and therefore there will be a larger potential drop across the battery's internal resistance. You should use the data given in the *first* situation to deduce the resistance of the lights (which doesn't change):

10.5 V / (15 A) = R_L

Then, the sequence will go something like this:

1. What battery output voltage is required across R_L for it to draw only 14 A?
2. By how much must the *total* current drawn have increased in order for the battery output voltage to be reduced from 10.5 V to the value calculated in (1)?
3. Based on the *total* current calculated in (2), how much is being drawn by the starting motor?

Okay so if:

[itex]V_L=i_L(R_L)[/itex]
[itex]10.5=15(R_L)[/itex]
[itex]R_L=.7[/itex]Ω

[itex]V_L=i_L(R_L)[/itex]
[itex]V_L=14(.7) = 9.8V[/itex]

So this says that there's 9.8V across the terminals of the battery and the lights, and the starting motor, right?

I don't quite know what you're asking in the 2nd question. If I now compute the voltage difference across the battery terminals I get (V_a is lower right corner of that circuit):

[itex]V_a-i_b(R_b) + E = V_b[/itex]
[itex]V_b-V_a = E-i_b(R_b)[/itex]
[itex]9.8=11.25-i_b(.05)[/itex]
[itex]i_b=29 A[/itex]

This would mean that there is now a 28A current flowing from the battery. Am I on the right track so far?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was asking in (2). If the output voltage is 9.8 V, how much total current needs to be drawn from the battery to make that happen (given that internal resistance). That is exactly what you have calculated. Now you know the total current drawn from the battery.

So if the battery is pushing 28A, and the light branch is eating up 14A, then the starting motor branch must be using the other 14A, correct?

Well, yes, except that the answer you calculated was 29 A, and you suddenly changed it to 28 A in mid-post by mistake.

Oops! Typo.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Current through a branch of a circuit

1. What is the definition of current through a branch of a circuit?

The current through a branch of a circuit is the flow of electric charge per unit time. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is the current through a branch of a circuit calculated?

The current through a branch of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current is equal to the voltage difference divided by the resistance in the circuit. It can also be calculated using Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node.

3. What factors affect the current through a branch of a circuit?

The current through a branch of a circuit is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the circuit is made of. Temperature can also affect the resistance of the circuit, which in turn affects the current. Additionally, the presence of other components in the circuit can affect the overall current flow.

4. How does the current through a branch of a circuit relate to the rest of the circuit?

The current through a branch of a circuit is connected to the rest of the circuit through Kirchhoff's Current Law, as mentioned earlier. This means that the current through one branch affects the currents through other branches in the circuit. The total current entering a node must equal the total current leaving the node.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding current through a branch of a circuit?

Understanding current through a branch of a circuit is essential in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It is used in various industries, including electronics, power generation and distribution, and telecommunications. It is also crucial in troubleshooting and maintaining electrical systems to ensure safe and efficient operation.