Current reference direction confusion

In summary, based on the given information, it can be concluded that for question 1, a negative current from a to b indicates that electrons are flowing from a to b. For question 2, assuming that the circuit element is a battery or voltage source, electrons flow from b to a since the positive current goes from a to b and the voltage from a to b is positive. However, the wording of question 2 may be imprecise and could lead to confusion.
cytochrome

Homework Statement

I have two questions.

1) The ends of a length of wire are labeled a and b. If the current i from a to b is negative, are electrons moving toward a or b?

2) We have a circuit element with terminals a and b. The voltage and current from a to b are both positive. If electrons carry the charge, which terminal do they enter?

Homework Equations

None, this is a conceptual problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

For question 1), I concluded that a negative current from a to b means that electrons flow from a to b. This makes sense and is the correct answer.

For question 2), I concluded that electrons flow from b to a since the positive current goes from a to b, but this is not the answer in the book.

Is the book wrong? Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answers, since electrons move in the opposite direction of the "positive current". But question 2 is worded a bit loosely, so maybe that is where the disconnect lies.

The statement "The voltage and current from a to b are both positive." is not precise or correct. Voltage from a to b does not make sense. "Voltage drop from a to b" would be precise and correct. Maybe there is some strange voltage inversion because of the imprecise statement? Maybe it's a voltage source instead of a sink like a resistor?

For 2) I believe the circuit element must be a battery or voltage source.

If "b" is the +ve terminal of the source and "a" the negative then it makes sense.

The voltage a -> b is +ve.
The current flowing within the source/battery is also from a -> b.

..so I agree with your answer. Electrons flow from b to a.

Last edited:

Related to Current reference direction confusion

What is current reference direction confusion?

Current reference direction confusion refers to the incorrect determination of the direction of electric current flow in a circuit. This can lead to errors in data analysis and can affect the accuracy of experimental results.

What causes current reference direction confusion?

This confusion can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect labeling of circuit components, incorrect placement of probes or connections in a circuit, or simply human error in determining the direction of current flow.

How can current reference direction confusion be avoided?

To avoid this confusion, it is important to carefully label and double-check all circuit components and connections. Using standard symbols and conventions for circuit diagrams can also help in determining the correct direction of current flow.

What are the consequences of current reference direction confusion?

If current reference direction confusion is not identified and corrected, it can lead to incorrect data analysis and conclusions. This can ultimately impact the validity and reliability of scientific experiments and research.

Are there any techniques for identifying current reference direction confusion?

Yes, there are techniques such as using a multimeter to measure the direction and magnitude of current flow, or using the right-hand rule to determine the direction of current flow in a circuit. It is also important to carefully review and verify all circuit diagrams and connections before conducting experiments.