Current on a spring to withstand a weight.

In summary: That's correct.In summary, to withstand a mass hanging from a spring without stretching or shrinking it, the magnetic force applied must be equal to the force of gravity. By calculating the magnetic energy and force, the current needed can be determined as I=mgl/(μ0N2πR2), with the derivative taken with respect to length.
pitbull
Gold Member

Homework Statement

You have a spring of length l, radius R, with N loops and n loops per unit length. If you consider it a solenoid, what current do you need to apply to withstand a mass m hanging from it, without stretching or shrinking the spring.

Homework Equations

Magnetic field inside a solenoid: B0nIz
Magnetic energy: W=∫∫∫B2/(2μ0)dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the magnetic energy of a solenoid and I got:
W=μ0N2I2πR2/(2l)

The force applied by the mass is:
F=mg

So, the magnetic force that I need is:
F=∇W(length constant)=μ0N2IπR2/(l)

Both forces must be equal. I solve for I and I get:
I=mgl/(μ0N2πR2)

Do you thing it is right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The approach looks good, but I get confused by the notation with I, l and l.
The derivative has to be with respect to length.

mfb said:
The approach looks good, but I get confused by the notation with I, l and l.
The derivative has to be with respect to length.

So should I derivate with respect to length and then equal that derivative to mg?

Sure. You are interested in the total energy after a length change to see if this length change happens.

mfb said:
Sure. You are interested in the total energy after a length change to see if this length change happens.

And after equaling both quantities, I solve for I (current), right?

Sure.

Likes pitbull

Related to Current on a spring to withstand a weight.

1. How does current affect the spring's ability to withstand weight?

The current in a spring refers to the flow of electricity through the material. This flow of electricity creates a magnetic field which can affect the spring's ability to withstand weight. A stronger current can strengthen the magnetic field, making the spring more rigid and able to withstand more weight.

2. Can the weight on a spring affect the current?

No, the weight on a spring does not directly affect the current. However, the weight can indirectly influence the current by stretching the spring and changing its shape. This can lead to changes in the electrical resistance of the spring and in turn, affect the current.

3. How does the material of the spring impact its ability to withstand weight?

The material of the spring plays a crucial role in its ability to withstand weight. Different materials have different properties, such as strength and elasticity, which can affect how much weight the spring can withstand. For example, a steel spring is typically stronger and more rigid than a rubber spring.

4. Is there a limit to how much weight a spring can withstand?

Yes, there is a limit to how much weight a spring can withstand. This limit is determined by the material, size, and shape of the spring, as well as the amount of current flowing through it. Exceeding this limit can cause the spring to deform or break.

5. Can the current on a spring be controlled?

Yes, the current on a spring can be controlled by adjusting the voltage or resistance in the circuit. This can be done using a power source, such as a battery, and changing the components in the circuit. By controlling the current, the strength and rigidity of the spring can be altered, allowing it to withstand different weights.