Current of electricity- power of a resistor in parallel

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power in a circuit with resistors R, Q, and P. The individual power values for R and Q are found to be 1/4 of the power of P, resulting in a ratio of 2:2:8. The conversation also mentions a possible misread or typo in a model answer regarding the use of R/2 for the power of resistor R. Ultimately, the simplified result is 12W=(I^2/2)(2R/3).
vadevalor
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361688080.789973.jpg

I got the answer by comparing I2R of the circuit with resistor R but why do i have to use R/2 for power of resistor R?( P= (0.5I)^2 (R/2)) I know its parallel to Resistor Q but i want to find the power of that component so shouldn't it be P= (0.5I)^2 (R) instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
shouldnt it be P= (0.5I)^2 (R)
if R is the resistance of resistors P Q and R (unfortunate notation!) and I is the total current drawn from the battery ... that's what I'd have thought. What made you think otherwise?

Last edited:
Yup. Resistors R and Q have half the current of P so the powers are

P: I^2 R
R & Q: (I/2)^2 R = 1/4 I^2 R

So the ratios are 2:2:8 (or if you prefer 2+2+8=12W)

Multiple choice answer A) 2W.

why do i have to use R/2 for power of resistor R

Who says you do?

It could be a misread or a typo in a model answer - if the argument was that the power dissipated in the parallel resistors is (I^2)(R/2) then the power dissipated in one of them must be 0.5(I^2)(R/2). Somehow the 0.5 got included in the brackets?

(0.5I^2)(R/2)=(I^2)R/8 ... which would give a power not on the multiple choice list wouldn't it?

But I don't see OPs answer or all the working on the attachment ... I see the start of a sum that goes off the edge of the pic, and an arrow to the simplified result:
12W=(I^2/2)(2R/3)

The power of a resistor in a parallel circuit is determined by the voltage and current passing through it. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all components, but the current is divided between the components. Therefore, when calculating the power of a specific resistor in a parallel circuit, we must take into account the portion of the total current that is passing through that resistor.

In this case, using R/2 for the power of resistor R takes into account the fact that only half of the total current is passing through that resistor. This is because the current is divided evenly between the two parallel resistors, so each resistor only receives half of the total current. Thus, using R/2 allows us to accurately calculate the power of resistor R in the parallel circuit.

If we were to use R instead, we would be assuming that the full current is passing through resistor R, which is not the case in a parallel circuit. This would result in an inaccurate calculation of the power of resistor R.

Related to Current of electricity- power of a resistor in parallel

1. What is the formula for calculating the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

The formula for calculating the total resistance of resistors in parallel is:
1/R(total) = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/R(n)
Where R(total) is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

2. How does the power of a resistor in parallel compare to the power of a single resistor?

In a parallel circuit, the power of each resistor is equal to the total power of the circuit. This means that the power of a resistor in parallel is the same as the power of a single resistor.

3. Can the total power of a parallel circuit ever be less than the power of a single resistor?

No, the total power of a parallel circuit can never be less than the power of a single resistor. In fact, it will always be greater than the power of any individual resistor in the circuit.

4. How can I increase the power dissipation of a resistor in a parallel circuit?

To increase the power dissipation of a resistor in a parallel circuit, you can either increase the voltage or decrease the resistance of the circuit. Both of these methods will increase the amount of current flowing through the circuit, resulting in a higher power dissipation for the resistor.

5. Is there a limit to the number of resistors that can be connected in parallel?

No, there is no limit to the number of resistors that can be connected in parallel. However, as the number of resistors increases, the total resistance of the circuit will decrease, and the current flowing through the circuit will increase. This means that there may be practical limitations on the number of resistors that can be connected in parallel, depending on the power source and the desired outcome.