Current Nuclear Engineer Regulations/Debates

In summary: There is no current debate in the U.S. that I am aware of. The task force looked at the safety of US nuclear plants, and determined that they are safe. There is some debate about the waste confidence ruling, but it is not a big deal. There are some good online sources that you could research.
xholicwriter
I am looking for reliable and scholarly sources (books, articles, websites, videos, etc) on the following topics:

1. Current (post-Fukushima incident) debates about whether or not a moratorium should exist (in the U.S.)
2. What new regulation are being proposed for the most current debates
3. Most current debates regarding nuclear energy (in the U.S.)

Please help!

Thank you very much,

xholic

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you very much!

Astronuc said:
Station Blackout has become a frontstage issue:

Thank you very much, Sir.

I am actually writing a research paper on a debatable topic, and I pick nuclear energy. I have narrowed my focus down to current debates on nuclear energy regulations.

Since I do not know much about the current issues, could you give me a brief description of what is going on?

Could you also provide me the background of the station shutdown issue? I don't really understand the technical terms in the articles.

Thank you,
xholic

The NRC regulates through the Code of Federal Regulations and the Regulatory Guides.

Protection against station blackout is just one of many requirements imposed on licensed operators of nuclear power plants.

The specific section is: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part050/part050-0063.html

The NRC also uses various other guidance documents including NUREG-0800, Standard Review Plan for Light Water Reactors.

Here is an overview of how the NRC regulates the nuclear industry.
http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/regulatory.html

Thank you, Sir.

I would like to ask if there were any current debates about whether or not a moratorium should exist (in the U.S.) ?

Thank you

xholicwriter said:
Thank you, Sir.

I would like to ask if there were any current debates about whether or not a moratorium should exist (in the U.S.) ?

Thank you

Currently there is no debate in the NRC or US government that I know of. The post-fukushima task force did reviews of nuclear power in the US and has determined that US nuclear power plants are safe, and that there was no need to suspend US nuclear operations in the US.

The only thing which is sort of under debate has to do with the NRC and the waste confidence ruling. The NRC is voluntarily placing a moratorium on ISSUING licenses (not reviewing or processing requests), until they revise their environmental impact statement as required by the waste confidence ruling last summer. This is only a 2 year moratorium on issuance.

Hiddencamper said:
The only thing which is sort of under debate has to do with the NRC and the waste confidence ruling. The NRC is voluntarily placing a moratorium on ISSUING licenses (not reviewing or processing requests), until they revise their environmental impact statement as required by the waste confidence ruling last summer. This is only a 2 year moratorium on issuance.

Thank you very much!

I would like to ask some additional questions.

1. Does it mean that no new licenses will be granted to new and existing nuclear plants? How does it effect the nuclear industry?
2. Did the court give the final ruling (or still debating)? Did it partially result from the lobbying of some environmental interest groups?
3 What is still being debated?
4. Do you know any good online sources regarding the debate?

Truly appreciate your help,

xholicwriter said:
Thank you very much!

1. Does it mean that no new licenses will be granted to new and existing nuclear plants? How does it effect the nuclear industry?
2. Did the court give the final ruling (or still debating)? Did it partially result from the lobbying of some environmental interest groups?

With regards to the waste confidence ruling, there is a suspension on license issuance (not reviews) until the NRC puts together their revised report (est: mid to late 2014). The ruling was made in summer 2012, and a court made the ruling. I don't know if it resulted from lobbying or interest groups, but it doesn't matter because they were not properly in compliance with NEPA. I don't think anything is being debated, I do know the NRC went out for public comments regarding the scope of the revised environmental impact statement.

Sorry I don't have any links available where I'm at now.

xholicwriter said:
Thank you very much!

The Waste Confidence Issue - http://www.nrc.gov/waste/spent-fuel-storage/wcd.html
http://www.nrc.gov/waste/spent-fuel-storage/wcd/schedule.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesconca/2012/08/11/nuclear-waste-confidence-nrc-ruling-no-big-deal/

Meanwhile - down in Carlsbad, NM - http://www.forbes.com/sites/christo...town-that-wants-americas-worst-nuclear-waste/

http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactors.html

Last edited:
I found a current debate on equipping filter to nuclear plans.

Here are two passages from the article

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/b...nuclear-safeguards.html?ref=atomicenergy&_r=0

"This was a simulation by Constellation Energy, the owner of the Nine Mile Point plant on Lake Ontario, for the benefit of two of the five members of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. It was part of an intense lobbying campaign against a proposed rule that would require utilities to spend millions of dollars on safety equipment that could reduce the effects of an accident like the Fukushima Daiichi meltdown in Japan two years ago."

“We all desire an ideal solution, but it needs to be an integrated one,” said Maria G. Korsnick, Constellation’s chief nuclear officer. She said that a filter was not as helpful as water in the reactor building that would both cool the fuel and absorb radioactive contaminants."

I would like to ask a few questions
1. What is filter?
2. What is your thought on the issue?
3. Where can I find more information about this?

Thank you

Related to Current Nuclear Engineer Regulations/Debates

1. What are the current regulations for nuclear engineers?

The current regulations for nuclear engineers vary depending on the country or region. In the United States, the main regulatory body is the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), which oversees the safe use and operation of nuclear facilities. Some of the key regulations include obtaining a license to operate a nuclear facility, conducting regular safety inspections, and implementing emergency response plans.

2. What are the main debates surrounding nuclear engineering?

One of the main debates surrounding nuclear engineering is the use of nuclear power as a source of energy. Some argue that it is a clean and efficient source of energy, while others point to the risks involved in handling and storing nuclear waste. There is also ongoing debate about the potential for nuclear accidents and the safety measures in place to prevent them.

3. How are nuclear engineers addressing the issue of nuclear waste disposal?

Nuclear engineers are working on developing new technologies for the safe disposal of nuclear waste, such as deep geological repositories. They are also studying ways to reduce the amount of waste produced by nuclear reactors, through advancements in nuclear fuel recycling and reprocessing.

4. What role do nuclear engineers play in nuclear non-proliferation efforts?

Nuclear engineers play a crucial role in ensuring that nuclear technology is used for peaceful purposes and not for the development of nuclear weapons. They are involved in the design and implementation of safeguards and security measures to prevent the diversion of nuclear materials for military use.

5. How do nuclear engineer regulations differ from other engineering regulations?

Nuclear engineer regulations differ from other engineering regulations due to the high level of risk involved in working with nuclear technology. These regulations are more stringent and require extensive training, licensing, and regular safety inspections. Additionally, the consequences of non-compliance with these regulations can be severe and have a major impact on public health and safety.