Current measurement with Lock-In Amplifier SR830

In summary, the speaker is asking for advice on how to measure the current signals from a two color Si-photodiode/PbS-photodetector using the Stanford Research Lock-In Amplifier 830. They have read in the manual that it is possible to measure currents with the SR830, but are unsure if using a pre-amp like the SR570 would improve the signal. They are also seeking a cheaper solution, possibly building an amplifier with basic electronics knowledge.
chemist2011
I have two current signals from a two color Si-photodiode/PbS-photodetector. I want to measure the signal with the Stanford Research Lock-In Amplifier 830.

I read in the manual that I can measure currents with the SR830. Does anyone have experience with this? Do I get better signals if I first convert my current signal into a voltage signal? I read that I could do this with the SR570 - but it seems me a little bit expensive. Is there any cheaper solution?

I am a chemist and electrical things are totally new for me - I will really appreciate any answer!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've never used the current input on the 830, but I can't see any reason for why you simply could not try it. Whether or not using a pre-amp like the 570 would help will depend on a lot of things, but of course mainly on the magnitude of the signal (but also on the output impedance of the diodes etc).
Do you know roughly how much current is coming from the diodes?

A cheaper solution than the 570 (which is pretty good) would be to build an amplifier tailor-made for you application, you can usually do quite well with a low-noise op-amp driven from two 9V batteries; but building one still requires some knowledge about basic electronics.

Related to Current measurement with Lock-In Amplifier SR830

What is a Lock-In Amplifier SR830?

A Lock-In Amplifier SR830 is a type of instrument used for precise measurement of electrical signals in the presence of noise. It works by synchronizing its internal oscillator with the signal of interest, and then filtering out all other signals except for those at the same frequency. This allows for accurate measurement of small signals even in noisy environments.

How does a Lock-In Amplifier SR830 work?

A Lock-In Amplifier SR830 works by using a phase-sensitive detector to compare the input signal with a reference signal from its internal oscillator. The reference signal is adjusted to be in phase with the input signal, and any signals at other frequencies are filtered out using a low-pass filter. The resulting output signal is a measurement of the amplitude and phase of the input signal at the reference frequency.

What are the applications of a Lock-In Amplifier SR830?

A Lock-In Amplifier SR830 is commonly used in scientific research for measuring small signals in the presence of noise. It is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering for experiments involving low-level signals, including in spectroscopy, microscopy, and materials characterization. It can also be used in industrial settings for quality control and monitoring of electronic signals.

What are the advantages of using a Lock-In Amplifier SR830?

One of the main advantages of using a Lock-In Amplifier SR830 is its ability to accurately measure small signals in the presence of noise. It also has a wide frequency range and high sensitivity, making it suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, it is relatively easy to use and can be integrated into existing experimental setups with minimal disruption.

Are there any limitations to using a Lock-In Amplifier SR830?

While a Lock-In Amplifier SR830 is a powerful tool for measuring small signals, it does have some limitations. It is most effective for signals that are repetitive and have a known frequency, so it may not be suitable for measuring non-periodic signals. It also has a limited dynamic range, so very large signals may not be accurately measured. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by changes in the reference frequency or phase during the measurement process.