Current in a wire and compass needle

Next, use the Biot-Savart law to find the magnetic field at the compass due to the wire, and then use the given angles to solve for the current in the wire.In summary, the conversation discusses using the Biot-Savart law to find the current in a wire based on the angle at which a compass needle points when placed near the wire. It is suggested to create a vector diagram and use the given angles to solve for the current. The relevant equation is B = uI/(2*pi*r).
choco_moo

Homework Statement

A compass needle points 19.1 degrees E of N outdoors. However, when it is placed 9.80 cm to the east of a vertical wire inside a building, it points 55.7 degrees E of N. What is the magnitude of the current in the wire? The Earth's field there is 4.80×10-5 T and is horizontal.

Homework Equations

B = uI/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone point me in the right direction for this problem because I have no idea how to start. I'm pretty sure I have to use the Biot-Savart law, but I just don't know how to incorporate the angles given into the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a vector diagram of known fields (be sure to account for both the wire and the Earth in your diagram with correct angles in between).

Related to Current in a wire and compass needle

1. How does current in a wire affect a compass needle?

The flow of current in a wire creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can interact with the Earth's magnetic field, causing the compass needle to align with the direction of the current flow.

2. Can the strength of the current affect the compass needle?

Yes, the strength of the current in the wire can affect the compass needle. A stronger current will create a stronger magnetic field, which can cause a greater deflection of the compass needle.

3. What happens to the compass needle when the current is turned off?

When the current is turned off, the magnetic field around the wire disappears. As a result, the compass needle will return to its original position, aligning with the Earth's magnetic field.

4. Can the direction of the current affect the compass needle?

Yes, the direction of the current can affect the compass needle. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction of the Earth's magnetic field, the compass needle will point in the opposite direction.

5. Is the effect of current on a compass needle the same in all locations on Earth?

No, the effect of current on a compass needle can vary depending on the location on Earth. This is because the strength and direction of the Earth's magnetic field can differ in different locations.