Current in a Resistor network ( 2 parts of part b)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a resistor network with R1= 5\Omega and R2= 7\Omega and finding the equivalent resistance between points a and b. The equivalent resistance is found to be 6.32\Omega. The current in each resistor is then calculated, with I12\Omega=I6\Omegaupper=2/3A, I6\Omegalower=.56A, I5\Omega=.67A, and I7\Omega=1.23A. The conversation also touches on the importance of checking the current in the lower branch and clarifies the meaning of I5 and I7.
hitman0097

Homework Statement

Consider the resistor network shown in the figure below, where R1= 5[tex]\Omega[/tex] and R2= 7[tex]\Omega[/tex] .
26_51alt.gif

(a) Find the equivalent resistance between points a and b
Req=([1/6 +1/5]+7)+12+6=(9.73)-1+18-1=6.32[tex]\Omega[/tex]

(b) If the potential drop between a and b is 12 V, find the current in each resistor.
I12[tex]\Omega[/tex]=I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]upper=12/18=2/3A
I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]lower=.56A
I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]=?
I7[tex]\Omega[/tex]=?

Homework Equations

Req=V/(Inet)
I=V/R; resistor in parallel I/2

The Attempt at a Solution

For I6[tex]\Omega[/tex]lower I think I just did V/11[tex]\Omega[/tex] and rounded.
Now for I5[tex]\Omega[/tex] shouldn't it be .53A or the same .56A they both got marked wrong though...
And for I7[tex]\Omega[/tex] shouldn't it be .56A+I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]
wrong answers for I7[tex]\Omega[/tex]:.92A,.615A, 1.09A,.67A I have one more attempt. I want to make it count.
wrong answers for I5[tex]\Omega[/tex]:.56A, 1.23A,.53A 2 more tries.
which I think is more important.

Also the total I would be 1.899A?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the voltage across ab is 12 V, then isn't the voltage in 6 and R1 resistors also 12V?

Check the current for the lower branch again. The 6 and 5 in parallel make 2.727 ohms, right? So the lower branch has resistance 7 + 2.727 and the current should be 12/9.727 = 1.23 A. That's the current through R2. You haven't said what I5 or I7 mean so I don't know what else you are having trouble with.

I5 would mean the current threw the 5 ohms resistor and I7 the current threw the 7ohms resistor

and for the 6ohms resistor the answer was .56A

Ah I got it thanks the current threw the bottom wire was the key. So that would make I5=.67A and I7=I6lower+I5= 1.23A

Related to Current in a Resistor network ( 2 parts of part b)

1. What is a resistor network?

A resistor network is a circuit made up of multiple resistors connected together in a specific pattern. It is used to control the flow of electric current and reduce voltage levels in electronic devices.

2. How is current calculated in a resistor network?

The current in a resistor network can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So, I = V/R. In a series circuit, the current remains constant, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the resistors.

3. How does the number of resistors affect current in a resistor network?

The number of resistors in a network does not directly affect the current. However, the total resistance of the network will change depending on the number and arrangement of the resistors, which in turn affects the current.

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel resistor network?

In a series resistor network, the resistors are connected end-to-end, so the current flows through each resistor in sequence. In a parallel resistor network, the resistors are connected side-by-side, so the current is divided among them. This results in different total resistances and current flows in each type of network.

5. How does the arrangement of resistors affect the total resistance in a resistor network?

In a series resistor network, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. In a parallel resistor network, the total resistance is calculated using a different formula, which takes into account the inverse of each individual resistance. The arrangement of resistors can also affect the overall current and voltage levels in the network.