Current flow quandary. Capacitors VS Resistors

In summary, current wants no dealing with resistors or anything that appears to "consume" them or makes them get to some place tons slower. They just...take a short-cut!"
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes! :smile:

And before you ask, it's the same with coils!

Note that the voltage difference over the relevant 2 resistors is zero, since it is short circuited.
A voltage difference of zero means that no current will flow.

Awesome! So, basically, current wants no dealing with resistors or anything that appears to "consume" them or makes them get to some place tons slower. They just...take a short-cut! Even with capacitors...and apparently, coils! Even though we're still not high-up on coils in my class (capacitors are still relatively new, had 2 classes on it).

Femme_physics said:
Awesome! So, basically, current wants no dealing with resistors or anything that appears to "consume" them or makes them get to some place tons slower. They just...take a short-cut! Even with capacitors...and apparently, coils! Even though we're still not high-up on coils in my class (capacitors are still relatively new, had 2 classes on it).

Yes! :smile:

Suppose you have 2 resistors in parallel, with say resistances of 100 ohm and 0.000000001 ohm.
What would the equivalent resistance be?
And assuming we have an incoming current of 1 ampere, how would it split over the 2 resistors?

And once you start with capacitors, I think coils won't be far behind. :wink:

Suppose you have 2 resistors in parallel, with say resistances of 100 ohm and 0.000000001 ohm.
What would the equivalent resistance be?
And assuming we have an incoming current of 1 ampere, how would it split over the 2 resistors?
I imagine that since the different is so gargantuan, the 100 ohm is being ignored and the current only flows through the 0.0000000000000001 ohm resistor?
PS :) I love your "yes!" with the smiley, you're so encouraging!

Femme_physics said:
I imagine that since the different is so gargantuan, the 100 ohm is being ignored and the current only flows through the 0.0000000000000001 ohm resistor?

PS :) I love your "yes!" with the smiley, you're so encouraging!

Thanx! :cool:

And yes! :smile:

That is, the 100 ohm is not ignored, but the effect on the equivalent resistance and the current through it is negligibly small.

100 ohm is being ignored and the current only flows through the 0.0000000000000001 ohm resistor?

I recommend the standard engineering shorthand - The E notation.

100 = 1E2 = 1*102

0.0000000000000001 = 1E-16 = 1*10-16

It is a very handy notation.

Femme_physics said:
Do not think that electrons are sentient. They are not intelligent agents, they are dumb particles. They do not "take a short-cut because they don't want to deal with stuff", they are "divided among parallel branches proportional to their conductance".
Femme_physics said:
Dooly noted :)
Duly. (It may have been a deliberate error, but I have no way of knowing that and I make it a point to correct non-native speaker's mistakes, just in case)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Current flow quandary. Capacitors VS Resistors

1. What is the difference between capacitors and resistors?

Capacitors and resistors are both electronic components used in circuits, but they have different functions. A capacitor stores electrical energy, while a resistor limits the flow of electrical current.

2. How do capacitors and resistors affect current flow?

Capacitors and resistors have opposite effects on current flow. Capacitors allow current to flow more easily, while resistors impede the flow of current.

3. Can capacitors and resistors be used interchangeably?

No, capacitors and resistors cannot be used interchangeably in a circuit. Their different functions and effects on current flow make them suitable for different purposes.

4. Which component is better for controlling current flow, a capacitor or a resistor?

It depends on the desired outcome. If you want to limit the flow of current, a resistor would be better. If you want to allow current to flow more easily, a capacitor would be the better choice.

5. How do I determine whether to use a capacitor or a resistor in a circuit?

The decision to use a capacitor or resistor depends on the specific requirements of the circuit and the desired outcome. It is important to understand the functions and effects of each component and carefully consider the needs of the circuit before making a decision.