Current electricity and terminals of a cell

In summary, the conversation is discussing the flow of current in a single cell connected by a conducting wire with no resistor. It is mentioned that a large current will flow, and the battery may get exhausted or even start to burn. The person suggests trying the experiment to see the effects. They then discuss the production of a spark and the terminal potential difference in this scenario. The conversation also mentions a question about finding i1 and i2, but further clarification is needed.
jyothsna pb
when the terminals of a single cell are connected by means of a conducting wire with no resistor component is there a current flow through the wire ?

jus started with current electricity have a lot of doubts thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a very big current will flow, limited only by the own resistance of the cell. If you do it with a simple battery, you even get a spark, and the battery gets flat very soon. But it is worth trying and see with your own eyes if there is current or not :)

ehild

u mean to say if we keep such a system undisturbed 4 a long time the battery will get exhasted soon?

is the current through this loop
I=(E1+E2)/(r1+r2)
n terminal p.d across cell 1 &2

E1-Ir1 & E2-Ir2 respectively

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
You can not keep it undisturbed for a long time, as either the battery gets exhausted and no more current will flow, or it starts to burn and smell and everything. Why don't you try? It is better to see things than constructing theories about them, and this experiment is not very dangerous, unless you hold the wire with bare hand... If you do, your fingers will burn. But you get experiences about the nature of battery, current and its heating effect so it is worth trying... Well, a good boy or girl never does such things, but a future physicist does. :)

(To tell the truth I started my lectures on practical electricity by giving my pupils a little electric shock)

ehild

thanku so much y is d spark produced?

what is the terminal pd across the cell in that case?

It is practically zero if the resistance of that short piece of wire is much less than the internal resistance of the battery (this internal resistance is about 1 ohm in case a common 4.5 V battery) The potential will drop across the internal resistance, inside the battery.

ehild

thanku so much

hey can someone please help me with the other question too?

How to find i1 and i2?

Attachments

• CURRENT.doc
    24 KB · Views: 174
Write the problem in words. I do not understand your drawing.

ehild

Related to Current electricity and terminals of a cell

1. What is current electricity?

Current electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is caused by the movement of electrons in a circuit.

2. What is a terminal of a cell?

A terminal of a cell refers to the two ends of a battery or cell where the electrical current enters and exits. These terminals are usually labeled as positive (+) and negative (-).

3. How does a battery produce electricity?

A battery produces electricity through a chemical reaction. When the battery is connected in a circuit, the chemical reaction causes a buildup of electrons at the negative terminal and a deficit of electrons at the positive terminal. This difference in charge creates an electric current.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of current where the direction of the flow of electrons changes periodically. It is used in most household appliances and power outlets. DC (direct current) is a type of current where the flow of electrons is in one direction only. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. Can a terminal of a cell be reversed?

Yes, the terminals of a cell can be reversed. However, this will result in a reversal of the electrical current, causing the device to not function properly. It is important to follow the correct polarity when connecting a battery to a circuit.