Current density of discrete charges in 1D space

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the production of a positron-electron pair in a 1D circular loop, and the subsequent circular motion and annihilation of the particles. The question is to find the electric field in the loop at different polar angles, and the use of Gauss' law and the EM field tensor is mentioned. The speaker also asks for hints in solving the problem without giving a detailed proof, and mentions their level of familiarity with the EM field tensor. They express gratitude in advance for any help they receive.
cedricyu803
Hi guys I am new here.

I was asked by my professor a problem:

a positron-electron pair is produced at the leftmost position of a 1D circular loop of radius R. e+ moves along the bottom hemisphere and e- moves along the upper one. They are confined in the circular loop and perform circular motion, eventually annihilate at the rightmost position.

Now the question is to find the electric field in the loop at different polar angles (say the loop is centred at the origin). Note that the loop is ONE-dimensional.

I know immediately from Gauss' law that at each arc separated by the charges the E-field strength is constant because the charge density at except where the charges are is zero.

In order to find the VALUE of the E-field, I attempted to use the EM field tensor to solve the problem but I don't know how to express the current density due to the two charges in 1D space.

So can anyone give me some hint in solving the problem??
Please don't give me the detailed proof as I want to finish it myself.
BTW I m a year 1 undergrad and I have just read about EM field tensor, so I am not quite familiar with it.

Thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody, please help me. I have been thinking of this question without any progress

Related to Current density of discrete charges in 1D space

1. What is current density of discrete charges in 1D space?

Current density of discrete charges in 1D space is a measure of the electric current per unit area in a one-dimensional space. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the discrete charges in a given area.

2. How is current density of discrete charges in 1D space calculated?

The current density of discrete charges in 1D space is calculated by dividing the total current by the cross-sectional area through which it is flowing. It can also be calculated by summing the individual current densities of each discrete charge in a given area.

3. What are the units of current density of discrete charges in 1D space?

The units of current density of discrete charges in 1D space are amperes per meter squared (A/m2). This represents the amount of current flowing per unit area in a one-dimensional space.

4. How does the current density of discrete charges in 1D space differ from continuous current density?

The current density of discrete charges in 1D space differs from continuous current density in that it takes into account individual, discrete charges rather than a continuous flow of charge. This is important in cases where the charges are not evenly distributed in a given area.

5. What factors affect the current density of discrete charges in 1D space?

The current density of discrete charges in 1D space is affected by the number and magnitude of the discrete charges, as well as the area through which the charges are flowing. It is also influenced by the medium in which the charges are moving, as different materials have different electrical properties.