Current Carrying Ability of A Potato

In summary, using potato batteries to power an electric bike may not be feasible due to the high internal resistance. Another option would be to convert the chemical energy in the potatoes into mechanical work using an alcohol-fueled engine.
Lancelot59
During a conversation a friend and I made a joke that was along the lines of "at least you're not powering it using an orange or a potato" while discussing the power supply for his electric bike.

Now I'm wondering...would it actually be possible to power an electric bike using potato batteries? According to wikipedia it's possible to get about 1.3 volts from a potato, however I think the internal resistance would be too high in order to drive something like the bike. Unless you put a ton of them in parallel...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you put a ton of them in parallel...
There you are - you've answered your own question.

You may end up pulling your potato PSU in a trailer though.
Make a bunch of potato batteries and work it out.

Simon Bridge said:
There you are - you've answered your own question.

You may end up pulling your potato PSU in a trailer though.
Make a bunch of potato batteries and work it out.

I would, except I'm not sure where to get the electrode material from yet. If I. Do I'll certainly try.

Each some of the potatoes, pedal the bike till you get hungry, repeat.

That's a much more efficient way to convert the chemical energy in the potatoes to mechanical work than using a "potato battery".

Oh but he doesn't want to pedal and so get tired ... another improved approach would be to ferment the potatoes and use the alcohol for fuel in an internal combustion engine.

The electrodes are common materials - copper wire and galvanized nails - hardware store.

Simon Bridge said:
Oh but he doesn't want to pedal and so get tired ... another improved approach would be to ferment the potatoes and use the alcohol for fuel in an internal combustion engine.

The electrodes are common materials - copper wire and galvanized nails - hardware store.

Not sure why I didn't think of that... Well it's something to try.

Related to Current Carrying Ability of A Potato

What is the current carrying ability of a potato?

The current carrying ability of a potato refers to its ability to conduct electricity. This is due to the water and electrolytes present in the potato's cells.

How is the current carrying ability of a potato measured?

The current carrying ability of a potato can be measured by connecting it to a circuit and measuring the flow of electricity. This can be done using a multimeter or by observing changes in a light bulb connected to the potato.

What factors affect the current carrying ability of a potato?

The current carrying ability of a potato can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the potato, the type of potato, the amount of water and electrolytes present, and the temperature of the potato.

Can the current carrying ability of a potato be increased?

Yes, the current carrying ability of a potato can be increased by using multiple potatoes connected in series or by using larger potatoes with higher water and electrolyte content. It can also be increased by increasing the temperature of the potato.

What is the practical application of studying the current carrying ability of a potato?

Studying the current carrying ability of a potato can have practical applications in creating alternative energy sources, such as using potatoes to power small electronic devices. It can also be used in educational settings to demonstrate the basic principles of electricity and conductivity.