Current and Voltage Relationships

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding information about the relationship between current and voltage in different scenarios, specifically filament lamps, semi-conductor diodes, a metal conductor at constant temperature, and a solution of copper (II) sulphate using electrodes. The individual is looking for guidance on conducting experiments for these scenarios and also inquiring about the difference between polarization in a dry cell and a leclanche cell. The experimental setup involves applying a voltage and measuring the current, with the exception of measuring in both directions for b and d, and maintaining a constant temperature for c.
perjogab
I am trying to find out about the relationship between current and voltage in:
a) filament lamps
b)semi-conductor diodes
c) a metal conductor at constant temperature
d) a solution of copper (II) sulphate using electrodes.

I pretty much know the results I am supposed to get, but could anyone aid me in steps for conducting experiments; especially for the semi-conductor diodes and the solution of copper (II) sulphate using electrodes.

Lastly, what is the difference between polarization in a dry cell and in a leclanche cell?

THANKS

Physics news on Phys.org
The experimental setup for each of these cases is pretty much the same, isn't it? You apply a voltage and measure the current. Of course for b and d you have to do this in both directions and for c you have to find a way to keep the temperature constant.

I got what I needed but thanks for the quick reply.

Related to Current and Voltage Relationships

1. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current and voltage are two different but related concepts in electricity. Current refers to the flow of electric charge, while voltage refers to the difference in electric potential between two points. In simpler terms, current is the movement of electrons, while voltage is the force that drives this movement.

2. How are current and voltage related?

Current and voltage are directly related through Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage (V) applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the conductor. In other words, as the voltage increases, the current also increases, while an increase in resistance will decrease the current.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current and voltage?

The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A), while the unit for voltage is the volt (V). In terms of the base SI units, current is measured in coulombs per second (C/s) and voltage is measured in joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does the relationship between current and voltage affect electrical devices?

The relationship between current and voltage is important in determining the behavior and functionality of electrical devices. For example, a higher voltage can cause an increase in current, which may overload and damage a device that is not designed to handle that much current. On the other hand, a device with a higher resistance will require a higher voltage to achieve the same current, which can affect its efficiency and performance.

5. How do current and voltage affect the safety of electrical systems?

Current and voltage play a crucial role in the safety of electrical systems. Excessive current can cause overheating and electrical fires, while high voltage can result in electric shocks. It is important to properly regulate and control current and voltage in electrical systems to ensure the safety of both people and equipment.