Current and Voltage from photovoltic cells

In summary, solar cells have both voltage and current ratings that are affected by incident sunlight and output load. To determine the current and voltage across a resistor in a circuit with a solar cell, you can use the V-I curve of the solar cell and the V=IR equation for the resistor. Additionally, the solar cell can be thought of as a current-limited voltage source, with its current being dependent on the incident sunlight and open-circuit voltage being dependent on the diode equation. Understanding these parameters can help in analyzing and designing circuits with solar cells.
HyperSniper
I'm pretty confused as to how circuit analysis works when using solar cells. They all have ratings for voltage AND for current, but I'm not sure exactly what that means as far as using a cell in a circuit goes.

Let's say I have a solar cell rated at 0.5V and 3.5A wired in series with a 1 ohm resistor and nothing else (so it forms a complete circuit). How would I determine the current and voltage across the resistor? Do I treat the cell like a current source or a voltage source, or something else entirely?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Every solar cell has a V-I curve output which depends on the incident sunlight and the output load. This is (should be) available from the manufacturer. The resistor V-I curve is V = IR. You have two equations in two unknowns. Draw the V-I curve for the solar cell on a V vs. I plot. Draw resistor load lines as diagonal lines on the same plot. Solve it graphically. You already have the solution for a 0.143 ohm resistor (0.5 volts, 3.5 amps) for (I presume) full sunlight. For a 1-ohm resistor, the solar cell voltage will be higher, and the current lower. I show typical solar cell V-I curves for different insolations (solar irradiance) and a resistor loadline in the attachment.

Bob S

Attachments

• Solar_panel_VI curve.jpg
    Solar_panel_VI curve.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 738
You can think of it as a current-limited voltage source. Stare at the solar cell's equivalent circuit for a while:

601px-Solar_cell_equivalent_circuit.svg.png

IL is a function of the solar radiation and is proportional to the cosine of the angle between the cell normal vector and the Sun vector. If your cell is rated 3.5A, that means at full Sun (AM1.5 if they're terrestrial solar cells) and with a maximum effective area (i.e., cos(0) = 1), IL = 3.5A. If you shorted the output with an ampere-meter, this is the current that you would measure. It also known as the cell's short-circuit current, ISC. Of course, a short-circuit also means zero voltage and thus zero power.

If we ignore leakage current caused by the large shunt resistor RSH and assume an open-circuit as shown in the figure above, all of IL will flow through the diode. The voltage drop over the diode will follow Shockley's diode equation as usual (notice the temperature dependency), and if we ignore the small series resistor (it represents contact resistance and resistance in the electrodes, etc), you have the other commonly rated parameter; the open-circuit voltage VOC which in your case is 0.5V.

With that out of the way, you can think of the open-circuit as a very large resistor. As this imaginary resistor gradually becomes smaller and smaller, more and more current will be diverted away from the diode, reducing ID to the point at which the diode no longer can maintain the voltage across it---the output voltage collapses.

Hope that helps you along.

Related to Current and Voltage from photovoltic cells

1. What is the difference between current and voltage in photovoltaic cells?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge, measured in amperes (A), while voltage is the force that drives the flow of current, measured in volts (V). In photovoltaic cells, current is produced when photons from sunlight knock electrons loose from atoms, and voltage is created by the separation of positive and negative charges.

2. How is current and voltage affected by the amount of sunlight hitting a photovoltaic cell?

The amount of sunlight hitting a photovoltaic cell directly affects the amount of current and voltage it can produce. More sunlight means more photons are available to knock electrons loose, resulting in a higher current and voltage output.

3. Can the current and voltage from photovoltaic cells be stored for later use?

Yes, the current and voltage from photovoltaic cells can be stored in batteries for later use. This allows for the use of solar energy even when the sun is not shining, such as at night or on cloudy days.

4. How do temperature changes affect the current and voltage output of photovoltaic cells?

Temperature changes can affect the current and voltage output of photovoltaic cells by altering the behavior of the materials used in the cells. In general, higher temperatures can decrease the efficiency of the cells, resulting in a decrease in current and voltage output.

5. Are there any factors that can cause a decrease in current and voltage output from photovoltaic cells over time?

Yes, there are several factors that can cause a decrease in current and voltage output from photovoltaic cells over time. These include natural wear and tear, exposure to harsh weather conditions, and degradation of materials due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.