Current after (1) time constant in RC circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current after one time constant in a circuit, with conflicting information about whether the current changes by 63% or is 63% of the original value. The correct equation is I(t) = I_o e^{-t/\tau}, making the current after one time constant 36.8% of its initial value.
rotiff

Homework Statement

Kxr0R.jpg

Maximum current:
I max = 4.62 * 10^-4 A

Time constant of circuit:
T = 3.9 seconds

Homework Equations

T= RC

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to find the current after 1 time constant. Seems simple enough, the current changes by 63%. So (Imax)-(Imax * 0.63) or basically I max * 0.37

But the teacher just took I max * 0.63 ! I thought it CHANGES by 63% not simply 63% of the original value!

I looked it up and all websites agree that the current after 1 time constant will be 0.37 of it's maximum value, hence a change of 63%!
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/rc/rc_1.html

Has the teacher made a mistake? I have deeply confused myself over a simple thought. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The form of the equation is
[tex] I(t) = I_o e^{-t/\tau}[/tex]
You're interested in the value of I(t) for various times that are multiples of [itex]\tau[/itex]. Easy-peasy. Just divide Io by e1, e2, etc.. As you suspect, after the first time constant period the value drops to 36.8% of its initial value (1/e).

Related to Current after (1) time constant in RC circuits

What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit refers to the amount of time it takes for the voltage or current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value when charging or discharging through a resistor-capacitor (RC) network.

How is the time constant calculated in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads, or by dividing the capacitance by the conductance (1/R) in siemens (S). This can be expressed as τ = RC = C/1/R.

What is the significance of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant is an important parameter in RC circuits as it determines the rate at which the voltage or current changes. It is also used to calculate the frequency response of the circuit and can indicate the stability of the circuit.

How does the time constant affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the speed at which a capacitor charges and discharges in an RC circuit. A smaller time constant means the capacitor will charge and discharge more quickly, while a larger time constant will result in a slower charging and discharging process.

What happens to the voltage and current in an RC circuit after one time constant?

After one time constant, the voltage in an RC circuit will reach approximately 63.2% of its maximum value when charging or discharging. Similarly, the current will reach 63.2% of its maximum value when charging or discharging. This is due to the nature of the exponential decay or growth of voltage and current in RC circuits.