Using Salt Peter as gasoline improver.

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using salt peter mixed with gasoline for increased car power. However, it is unlikely to work due to the low solubility of KNO3 in hydrocarbons. Additionally, the mixture is more likely to clog the gas line than explode in the tank. The use of an initiator for detonation is also mentioned, along with the suggestion of using 18-crown-6 instead.
dmz
Well i read that Salt Peter is a strong oxydizer (sorry about my english) so i thought that if I mix it with gasoline then i should get more power out from my car. But won't the mixture of gasoline and saltpeter explode in the gas tank?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The solubility of KNO3 in hydrocarbons is quite small; you won't get enough into solution to give you any significant effect. Explode in the tank? You'll be looking at clogging of the gas line from undissolved salt before you get to any sort of "explosive" mixture proportions. Thinking of blowing up someone else's car? The initiator requirement for detonating gasoline-KNO3 is probably greater than the explosive yield of the mixture itself.

Hmmm. 18-crown-6?

1. What is Salt Peter and how is it used as a gasoline improver?

Salt Peter, also known as potassium nitrate, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a fertilizer and in gunpowder. When added to gasoline, it acts as a combustion enhancer, improving the overall performance of the fuel.

2. Can Salt Peter be added to any type of gasoline?

Yes, Salt Peter can be added to any type of gasoline, including regular, premium, and diesel. However, the recommended dosage may vary depending on the type of fuel and the specific engine.

3. How does Salt Peter improve the performance of gasoline?

Salt Peter contains high levels of nitrogen, which helps to increase the oxygen content in the fuel. This leads to a more complete combustion process, resulting in increased power and improved fuel efficiency.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks of using Salt Peter as a gasoline improver?

While Salt Peter is generally considered safe to use in gasoline, it is important to follow the recommended dosage and not exceed it. Using too much Salt Peter can lead to engine damage and potentially harm the environment.

5. Where can I purchase Salt Peter for use as a gasoline improver?

Salt Peter can be purchased at most hardware stores, gardening centers, and online retailers. It is important to ensure that the product being purchased is of high quality and suitable for use as a gasoline additive.