Curling simulation position functions

In summary, the Canadian national men's curling competition is going on this weekend and I am trying to create a computer program to simulate the motion of the rocks on the ice. I am having difficulty with some aspects of the project, and I am unsure of what is wrong.
Delphi51
Homework Helper
The Canadian national men's curling competition (the Briar) is going on this weekend and I am motivated to write a computer program to simulate the motion of the rocks on the ice. I see on TV that the rectangular rink 14 by 126 feet appears to be trapezoidal on the screen, with the front about 7 times as wide as the far end:
curling1.jpg

I need functions to calculate the position on the trapezoid image in pixels when given the position in feet on the real rink. This strikes me as a fairly easy problem but I keep getting results that don't check out - I must have a fundamental misunderstanding. The horizontal part seems straighforward: clearly the scale of pixels per foot is larger as you move from back to front. It seems to me the vertical scale must be the same as the horizontal one at any position y down from the top or back of the trapezoidal image.
Curling2.jpg

The scale I get is x pixels divided by 7 feet = a(d-y)/(7d), a linear function of the y position. My first test was to integrate the scale times dy to get the total length of the rink in feet. That came out to 126 =Bd/a[ln(d+h) - ln(d)]
I could not choose constants a,b and c to make this equal to 126 feet!

Next, I tried putting in some numbers for the a,b,c constants to make the rink image look about right on the screen and doing a spreadsheet calculation of the scale and feet for each 10 pixels of the height in the image. When I total up the feet for the whole length, I get about 50 feet.
curling3.jpg

Changes to the constants for the image size and shape seem to make this total even less. Something is very wrong with my model, but what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yikes, that is 3D complicated.

Related to Curling simulation position functions

What is a "Curling simulation position function"?

A "Curling simulation position function" is a mathematical function used to simulate the movement and positioning of a curling stone on the ice. It takes into account various factors such as the weight of the stone, the angle of release, and the amount of curl to accurately predict its path.

How are "Curling simulation position functions" used?

"Curling simulation position functions" are used in computer programs or simulations to simulate the motion of curling stones on the ice. This allows players and coaches to practice and strategize without actually being on the ice.

What factors are considered in a "Curling simulation position function"?

Some factors that are considered in a "Curling simulation position function" include the weight of the stone, the angle of release, the amount of curl, and the friction and roughness of the ice surface. These factors all play a role in determining the path and final position of the stone.

How accurate are "Curling simulation position functions"?

The accuracy of "Curling simulation position functions" depends on the quality of the data used and the complexity of the function. With precise measurements and advanced calculations, these functions can provide highly accurate predictions of the stone's path and final position.

Are "Curling simulation position functions" used in professional curling?

Yes, some professional curling teams use "Curling simulation position functions" to analyze and strategize their game. They may also use these functions to practice their shots and improve their skills.