Curl and Divergence (flux, and what not)

In summary, the conversation is about solving the problem \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{G} = \vec{F}, where \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F} = 0 and \vec{F} = <y, z, x>. The speaker is struggling to find a solution, but knows that it is called "incompressible" in the context of a vector field of a fluid. They are asking for help and are directed to expand the left hand side of the equation using a vector identity. The speaker then asks for clarification on how to use the identity and eventually discovers that the solution is not unique. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
dink
I'm having a bit of difficulty with this problem:
[tex]
\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{G} = \vec{F}
[/tex]
where
[tex] \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{F} = 0 [/tex]
and [tex] \vec{F} = <y, z, x> [/tex].
Find [tex] \vec{G} [/tex]. I'm really at a loss how to solve this. I know the solution must be quick and easy because it was on a quiz. What I do know is this is called "incompressable" if, say it were a vector field of a fluid. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have:

[tex]\vec{\nabla}.(\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{G}) = 0[/tex]

Can you expand the left hand side using a suitable vector identity?

http://astron.berkeley.edu/~jrg/ay202/node189.html ?

14.54 gives me the form, such that A = G, but does this mean B = F if I expanded to 14.51?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a follow up incase someone else needed the same solution. Merely expanding the cross product (<P,Q,R> form as [tex] \vec{G} [/tex]) leaves a vector in differentials that is equal to [tex] \vec{F} [/tex]. From then its just a matter of setting the components equal to each other and knocking off which ever differential you would like. You can do this because the solution is not unique. Thanks for the help.

Related to Curl and Divergence (flux, and what not)

1. What is the difference between curl and divergence?

The curl and divergence are mathematical concepts used in vector calculus to describe the behavior of vector fields. The main difference between them is that curl measures the rotation of a vector field at a given point, while divergence measures the expansion or contraction of a vector field at a given point.

2. What is flux in relation to curl and divergence?

Flux is a measure of how much of a vector field flows through a given surface. It is related to both curl and divergence, as the curl of a vector field can be used to calculate the circulation of the field around a closed loop, while the divergence can be used to calculate the flux of the field through a closed surface.

3. How do curl and divergence relate to each other?

Curl and divergence are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus, which states that the curl of a vector field is equal to the circulation of the field around a closed loop, while the divergence of the field is equal to the flux of the field through a closed surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of curl and divergence?

Curl and divergence have many practical applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in electromagnetics and the flow of fluids in fluid dynamics. They are also used in the study of weather patterns, fluid flow in pipes, and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in electronic circuits.

5. How can I calculate curl and divergence?

To calculate the curl of a vector field, you can use the curl formula, which involves taking the partial derivatives of the field with respect to its components. Similarly, the divergence of a vector field can be calculated using the divergence formula, which involves taking the dot product of the field with the gradient operator.