Cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with plotting cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters as a function of X-ray flux. They are using a method involving mass function and scaling relation, but the resulting plot does not match observational results. The speaker is unsure why this is happening and asks for assistance with their code.
mahya
Dear all,

I am trying to plot the cumulative number counts of galaxy cluster (N>S) as a function of X-ray flux. The method I am following is using the mass function and scaling relation to calculate dN/dVdz. Then I do a double integrate over the redshift range and flux range. But the plot that I get has no connection with observational results. I am wondering if you could have a look at the codes and help me wo solve the problem.

Space news on Phys.org
How far off are your resuklts from the "observational" results that you are talking about and what are those results, yours and the observational ones? Also I don't under stand why you double integrated over the redshift range and flux range?

Actually the slope of my plot is totally different from the observation one. In attached images you can compare these two. The reason for integration is that we are supposed to calculate the cumulative number counts (N>S) and it should be integrated over the redshift range (0,Zmax) and (S, inf.).

Attachments

• figure_1.png
    figure_1.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 350
  • N- Xray flux.png
    N- Xray flux.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 388

Related to Cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters

1. What is the significance of studying the cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters?

The cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters provide valuable information about the formation and evolution of the universe. By studying the distribution and growth of these clusters, we can better understand the large-scale structure of the universe and the processes that drive it.

2. How are cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters measured?

Cumulative number counts are typically measured through observations using telescopes, specifically targeting areas of the sky that are known to contain galaxy clusters. These observations are then analyzed to determine the number of galaxy clusters in a given area of the sky.

3. What factors can affect the cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters?

There are several factors that can affect the cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters, including the mass and size of the clusters, the age of the universe, and the presence of dark matter. Additionally, the sensitivity and resolution of the telescopes used for observations can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.

4. How do cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters change over time?

As the universe continues to expand and evolve, the cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters also change. Over time, we can observe an increase in the number of galaxy clusters as new ones form, but we may also see a decrease as clusters merge together or disappear entirely.

5. What other information can be gleaned from studying cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters?

In addition to understanding the structure and evolution of the universe, studying cumulative number counts of galaxy clusters can also provide insights into the nature of dark energy, the properties of dark matter, and the impact of cosmic events such as supernovae and black hole mergers. It can also help us refine our understanding of the laws of physics that govern the behavior of the universe.