How do I calculate the concentration of HCl in a beaker using NaOH titration?

• Thread starter Jaramide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, The speaker is seeking help with a chemistry assignment involving calculating the concentration of an acid using normality and molarity formulas. They have already posted in a chemistry forum but are looking for a quicker response. With the help of another person, they have successfully solved the problem and are grateful for the assistance.
Jaramide
Normally i wouldn't post this in here and I am very sorry if I am breaking any rules but i need quick help or I am toast. Allready posted in the chem forum but I am afraid it will take to long to get an answer.

I need to return an asignment today and i just can't figure it out (should probably be a piece of cake for the people that hangs around here)

There is 10ml HCl with an unknown concentration i a beaker. You let NaOH with the concentration 0,100 mol/dm3 drip into the acid until it is neutralized.
It takes 10,5ml NaOH to neutralize the acid.

With this you should be able to calculate the concentration of the acid or so my teacher say. And all i can do is sit here and look dumb while my brain refuses to cooperate

Could anyone help me i would owe you a life debt. If i don't get this in today i won't get a grade in chemistry

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply the normality equation

[tex]N_{HCl}V_{HCl}=N_{NaOH}V_{NaOH}[/tex]

Here normality is equal to Molarity

Hence Concentration is either given by normality/molarity

Stength is given by Molarity*Molecular Weight

Ok, just to check.

So i take
10,5ml * 0,1 = 1,05
10 * x = 1,05
1,05 / 10 = 0,105
10 * 0,105 = 1,05

So the concentration of HCl is 0,105mol/dm3 or have i gotten it completley wrong?

*edit* After checking that over i don't think it can be that simple.
I know that knowing what type of acid it is is instrumental to the calculations and this don't involve that at all so I am dead wrong.
Back to square one :(

Last edited:
Yes it is correct and it is that simple.

I believe u know the equation that i quoted
It definitely gives correct results

...Wow. I managed to get it right
I thank you for helping me out. Without that little kick in the right direction i wouldn't have manged to solve it.
Thank you again, i owe you.

u owe me

1. What is a simple chemistry problem?

A simple chemistry problem is a problem that involves basic concepts and principles in chemistry, such as atomic structure, chemical reactions, and the properties of elements and compounds.

2. How can I solve a simple chemistry problem?

To solve a simple chemistry problem, you need to first understand the given information and identify the relevant concepts and formulas. Then, you can apply these concepts and use the appropriate formulas to calculate the answer.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple chemistry problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple chemistry problem include incorrect unit conversions, using the wrong formula, and not paying attention to significant figures.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a simple chemistry problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a simple chemistry problem. However, you should make sure to enter the correct numbers and units and pay attention to the correct number of significant figures.

5. What are some resources I can use to practice solving simple chemistry problems?

There are many resources available to practice solving simple chemistry problems, such as textbooks, online quizzes and tutorials, and practice problems provided by your teacher. You can also form study groups with classmates to practice together.