Cryogenic heat exchanger cooling power

In summary, the heat exchanger has an embedded circuit where pressurized Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) from a Dewar is flowing. The heat exchanger is attached to an Aluminium block that is in a cryostat. The heat exchanger is used to cool the Aluminium block to a stable temperature.
freddie_mclair
Hi everyone!

I have a silver plated copper heat exchanger (with an internal embedded circuit where liquid nitrogen flows) attached to a bigger aluminium block in order to cool it down.

First, I want to estimate it's instantaneous cooling power during cool-down to a stable temperature. I have the mass of the Aluminium block, ##m##, and I'm measuring its' temperature evolution with time, ##dT/dt##. I assumed that the instantaneous cooling power of this heat exchanger, ##dP##, can be given by:

[tex] dP = m\, c_p(T)\, \frac{dT}{dt} \mbox{ [Watt]}[/tex]

Where ##c_p(T)## is a polynomial function of ##T##, so a non-linear behavior was introduced.

Question 1: Is this a valid assumption for the instantaneous cooling power?

Question 2:
How could I estimate it's cooling power at a given temperature with this data? I don't have a measure of the flow of the liquid nitrogen...

Thanks in advance!
Ciao!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's been ages since I've done this, but it seems to me that you're making it more complicated than it needs to be... I would think it's more of a function of the thermal conductivity (thus area and thicknesses) of the materials involved... For there to be any effective power transfer, there has to be a difference in temperature between the two sides of the heat exchanger, the thinnner the walls, and the greater the area and/or temperature difference and/or thermal conductivity of the medium, greater the power transfer

More information is needed before any meaningful calculations of heat transfer can be attempted .

Please post a complete description of the set up and a clear diagram .

Likes Chestermiller
Hi!

Thanks for your replies.
Here is a scheme depicting the setup.

cxsIZpi.jpg

Everything is in vacuum (minimizing radiative heat transfer) and some glass fiber epoxy supports were used to install the Aluminium block in the cryostat (minimizing conductive heat transfer). I only have a couple of temperature sensors on the Aluminium block.
The heat exchanger (attached to the Aluminium block) has an embedded circuit inside where pressurized Liquid Nitrogen (LN2) from a Dewar is flowing; it flows through some Swagelok stainless steel flexible tubes.

As I said, to get the instantaneous cooling power, I considered the heat removed from the Aluminium block by measuring ##dT/dt##, knowing its mass ##m## and evaluating ##c_p(T)## with the values given by NIST, here.

Thanks! :)

Guys, any further help on this?

Thanks!

Please provide the dimensions of the block and the heat exchanger, including the geometry of the coolant channels.

Hi Chester,

Thanks for your reply!
Well, first of all, I just would like to know if the physical principle that I assumed (described in the first post) are correct: is the instantaneous cooling power is defined by ## dP = m c_p(T) \frac{dT}{dt} ##?

Secondly, I see a lot in literature (and in practical applications) that sometimes the cooling power is defined as, e.g., ##50##Watt @ ##77##K. How are these values defined?

Thanks again!
Regards!

freddie_mclair said:
Hi Chester,

Thanks for your reply!
Well, first of all, I just would like to know if the physical principle that I assumed (described in the first post) are correct: is the instantaneous cooling power is defined by ## dP = m c_p(T) \frac{dT}{dt} ##?
This is correct if T represents the average temperature of the block. But, depending on the operating conditions, the temperature can vary substantially with location within the block. This is the reason I was asking those other questions.
Secondly, I see a lot in literature (and in practical applications) that sometimes the cooling power is defined as, e.g., ##50##Watt @ ##77##K. How are these values defined?

Regards!
I'm not familiar with this standard. But you should be able to find somewhere in the literature a description of the experimental procedure required to implement this standardized measurement.

Related to Cryogenic heat exchanger cooling power

1. What is a cryogenic heat exchanger?

A cryogenic heat exchanger is a device that uses cold temperatures to cool a fluid or gas. It is commonly used in industrial and scientific processes to regulate and maintain low temperatures.

2. How does a cryogenic heat exchanger work?

A cryogenic heat exchanger works by transferring heat from a warm fluid or gas to a cold fluid or gas. This is done through a series of tubes or plates that allow the two fluids to come into contact and exchange heat.

3. What is the cooling power of a cryogenic heat exchanger?

The cooling power of a cryogenic heat exchanger depends on various factors such as the type of fluid or gas being cooled, the temperature difference between the two fluids, and the design of the heat exchanger. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

4. What are the advantages of using a cryogenic heat exchanger for cooling?

One of the main advantages of using a cryogenic heat exchanger for cooling is its high efficiency. It can achieve much lower temperatures compared to other cooling methods, making it ideal for applications that require extremely low temperatures. It also has a compact design and can be easily integrated into existing systems.

5. What are some common applications of cryogenic heat exchangers?

Cryogenic heat exchangers are commonly used in various industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing, and cryogenic research. They are also used in the production and storage of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and for cooling superconducting magnets in medical and scientific equipment.