Cross sectional area (NOT A QUESTION)

In summary, a cross sectional area is the 2-dimensional representation of a 3-dimensional object. It is the area of the base for a cylinder or right solid, the area of a circle with the same radius for a sphere, and the area of an ellipse with the same long and short axes for an ellipsoid. For an oblate ellipsoid, the area is simply pi*(r^2).
moonman239
Just for those who don't know a thing about cross sectional areas, I thought I'd explain.

A cross sectional area describes the area of a flat (2-dimensional) representation of a 3-dimensional object. So if I cut a cylinder, instead of seeing two circles, I see four circles (unless there are other circles in my environment). The cross-sectional area is the area of either of the two circles.

For a cylinder or right solid, the cross-sectional area is the area of the base.
For a sphere, the cross sectional area is the area of a circle with the same radius (pi*r2).
For an ellipsoid, the cross sectional area is the area of an ellipse with the same long (a) and short (b) axes (pi*ab).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what to say. Thanks for sharing?

lol at landau's response

Oh, for an oblate ellipsoid (such as Earth), where lines of latitude are circular, the area is simply pi*(r^2)

Thank you for explaining cross sectional areas for those who may not be familiar with the concept. I would like to add that cross sectional area is an important measurement in many fields, including physics, engineering, and biology. It can be used to calculate important properties such as volume, density, and flow rate. In addition, cross sectional area can also be used to study the internal structure and composition of objects, providing valuable insights into their physical properties. Overall, understanding cross sectional area is crucial in many scientific disciplines and can help us better understand the world around us.

Related to Cross sectional area (NOT A QUESTION)

What is cross sectional area?

Cross sectional area is the measure of the area of a two-dimensional surface that is perpendicular to the direction of an object's length or width.

How is cross sectional area calculated?

Cross sectional area can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of a two-dimensional object or by using mathematical formulas for more complex shapes.

What is the importance of cross sectional area in science?

Cross sectional area is important in science because it helps determine the strength and resistance of an object to external forces, such as pressure or tension. It also plays a role in the study of fluid dynamics and the flow of fluids through pipes or channels.

How does cross sectional area affect the properties of materials?

The cross sectional area of a material can affect its strength, as a larger cross sectional area can distribute stress and weight more evenly. It can also impact the conductivity of materials, as a larger cross sectional area allows for more surface area for the flow of electricity or heat.

Can cross sectional area change?

Yes, cross sectional area can change depending on external factors such as pressure, tension, or temperature. It can also change due to physical alterations, such as cutting or shaping an object.