Exploring the Boundary Between Observers and Objects: A Physical Description

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an observer and their respective objects in quantum mechanics. The speakers question whether there is a distinct boundary between the observer and the object, and how this could be described physically. They also touch on the idea of decoherence and the Copenhagen interpretation in explaining the relationship between the observer and the observed. Ultimately, they ponder whether this issue is more metaphysical or physical in nature.
Loren Booda
Is there a characteristic boundary between every observer and their respective objects? If so, how would one describe it physically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren,
I think this is a very deep and interesting question. Not a new one, though. I think it has been here since the gedanken experiment of Schrödinger's Cat. I'm afraid no-one has a satisfying answer to this. After years of thinking, I came up with the following point of view: "All that has reality is observations. Wave functions don't have any reality, so we don't have to worry about when or where wavefunctions collapse. Quantum theory just gives correlations between observations. The mystery is not in a 'discontinuos component of quantum theory'. The mystery is why reality is like it is."
Not very satisfying, eh?

arcnets - Does quantum mechanics address why we are able to interchange the entity classifications "observer" and "object" in different physical situations? Otherwise, do the same observer, "I," and all "other," object, labels always conserve?

It's one of the flaws of the Copenhagen interpretation that it cannot describe an observer or what constitutes a measurement appartus they are just treated classically. Decoherence does offer an explanation however as it describes how large objects very quickly begin to behave like classical systems.

Originally posted by Loren Booda
arcnets - Does quantum mechanics address why we are able to interchange the entity classifications "observer" and "object"
You mean, why I can 'observe' you, and the result of my observation and your observation will be the same?

jcsd - quite right, the decoherence explanation seems to cover nicely the definition of observer-object.

arcnets - yours is a succinct description of the problem I am trying to pose - but might it be more metaphysical than physical?

Originally posted by Loren Booda
jcsd - quite right, the decoherence explanation seems to cover nicely the definition of observer-object.

arcnets - yours is a succinct description of the problem I am trying to pose - but might it be more metaphysical than physical?

What you are hinting at his psychoparellelism which is rejected almost universally these days as an explantion of quantum mechanics. The Wigner's friends version of Schoredinger's cat was a thought experiment thta attempted to put forward the idea that the observer had to be a 'concious' being.

1. What is the significance of exploring the boundary between observers and objects?

Exploring the boundary between observers and objects is important because it helps us better understand the relationship between the observer and the observed. It allows us to study how perception and consciousness interact with physical reality, and how our understanding of the world is shaped by our observations.

2. What is meant by the term "physical description" in this context?

In this context, "physical description" refers to the scientific study and explanation of the physical aspects of the boundary between observers and objects. This includes concepts such as space, time, matter, energy, and their interactions.

3. How does this topic relate to other fields of study?

The exploration of the boundary between observers and objects has implications for various fields of study, such as physics, psychology, philosophy, and neuroscience. It also intersects with topics such as perception, consciousness, and the nature of reality.

4. What are some current theories or models for understanding the boundary between observers and objects?

There are several theories and models that attempt to explain the boundary between observers and objects, such as the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, the theory of relativity, and the concept of subjective reality. However, the topic is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.

5. How can understanding the boundary between observers and objects benefit society?

Understanding the boundary between observers and objects can have a wide range of applications and benefits for society. It can inform our understanding of the universe and help us develop new technologies, improve our understanding of human perception and consciousness, and even have implications for fields such as artificial intelligence and virtual reality.