Cross product order of operations

In summary, the conversation is discussing the correct order of operations for a cross product. The options of (A x B) x (A x C) and doing stuff in the parenthesis first before crossing with A are presented and the speaker suggests following the rules of algebra and vector algebra. They also clarify that (A x B) x (B x C) is not equal to A x (B x C) for the same reasons that 5(3x2) is not equal to (5x3)x(5x2). Their final suggestion is to follow the formula for the correct answer.
John777
Could someone please clarify a simple order of operations related to cross product?

A x (B x C) = ?

I am not sure between the these two options:

= (A X B) x (A X C)

or

= do stuff in parenthesis first then cross with A

Physics news on Phys.org
John777 said:
Could someone please clarify a simple order of operations related to cross product?

A x (B x C) = ?

= (A X B) x (A X C)

or

You use the same rules of algebra that you use in vector algebra. Brackets first, then your cross products then your +/-.

For example 1 you calculate B x C then A x Result, for second you calculate A x C, then A x B, and then result 2 x result 1. As you are probably aware cross product is not commutative so order is important.

Hope that helps.

John777 said:

A x (B x C) = ?

= (A X B) x (A X C)
A x (B x C) is definitely NOT equal to (A x B) x (B x C) for exactly the reason that 5(3x 2) is NOT equal to (5x3)x(5x2)! Why would you think it would be?

For one thing, if A is parallel to either B or C, one of A x B or A x C would be 0. But B x C would be perpendicular to both B and C and so perpendicular to A so that would NOT be true.

or

You are really asking "should I do something totally random or do what the formula tells me to do?" If you want to get the right answer, my suggestion is that you do what the formula tells you to do!

Related to Cross product order of operations

What is the order of operations for the cross product?

The order of operations for the cross product is as follows: first, we take the first vector and multiply it by the second vector, then we multiply the second vector by the first vector, and finally, we subtract these two values. This can be written as A x B = (A x B) - (B x A).

Can the order of operations for the cross product be changed?

No, the order of operations for the cross product cannot be changed. The cross product is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the vectors are multiplied matters and changing the order will result in a different value.

What happens when the order of the vectors in the cross product is changed?

When the order of the vectors in the cross product is changed, the resulting vector will have the same magnitude but will point in the opposite direction. This is due to the anti-commutative property of the cross product.

Does the cross product follow the same rules as the dot product?

No, the cross product and dot product do not follow the same rules. The dot product is commutative and distributive, while the cross product is not. Additionally, the dot product results in a scalar value while the cross product results in a vector.

What is the purpose of using the cross product in science?

The cross product is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the torque and angular momentum of a system. It can also be used to find the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors and to determine the direction of a magnetic field in relation to an electric current.